Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #7,486 of 7,495
Not a critique, just wondering why you’re selling these over your Utopia 22/ Elite?
I have mentioned in more than one place (and my classified listings) that I sold my Utopia '22 today. Elite is going to be sold as well.

Jun 1, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #7,487 of 7,495
I have mentioned in more than one place (and my classified listings) that I sold my Utopia '22 today. Elite is going to be sold as well.

Selling all of them! Where ya going from here? Looks like you’re having a lot of fun! I’ve tried a bunch of stuff during my journey. It gets expensive, but being able to try so many different things is super fun in its own way.

Jun 1, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #7,488 of 7,495
Selling all of them! Where ya going from here? Looks like you’re having a lot of fun! I’ve tried a bunch of stuff during my journey. It gets expensive, but being able to try so many different things is super fun in its own way.
My goal is to end up with one headphone for the next 3-6 months. The Utopia was that for me for the last 6 months.

So far it's between the DZ and Susvara. Both have pros and cons. For me, the Susvara is cheaper than the DZ, more comfortable, and of course legendary tuning. The DZ sounds like a Utopia with huge soundstage, well-built, beautiful and relatively easy to drive, but the clamping makes it uncomfortable, and it's expensive.

Jun 1, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #7,489 of 7,495
My goal is to end up with one headphone for the next 3-6 months. The Utopia was that for me for the last 6 months.

So far it's between the DZ and Susvara. Both have pros and cons. For me, the Susvara is cheaper than the DZ, more comfortable, and of course legendary tuning. The DZ sounds like a Utopia with huge soundstage, well-built, beautiful and relatively easy to drive, but the clamping makes it uncomfortable, and it's expensive.

Right on. I tried to do the one headphone thing and just couldn’t manage it. I’ve got a problem lol. Best of luck on your journey! I’d love to hear a Sus someday.

Jun 2, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #7,490 of 7,495
  1. V-shaped, or warm neutral. Sub bass, detail, clarity and sparkle all matter to me.
  2. Comfortable. This is really important.
  3. I’m personally ambivalent about soundstage. I wear these all day while working and I don’t necessarily need to feel like I’m in a concert hall vs in my office. In fact, a smaller soundstage actually sometimes helps me focus.
  4. Drivability. My TT2 should be able to drive it (and possibly the occasional Mojo2 or Woo Tube Mini).
Imo Susvara is not going to be for you.
You won't get 60% of Susvara on a solo TT2, and without powerful amplification the subbass is not going to do it for you.

Have you tried Caldera? Ticks all the boxes you're looking for if Utopia was a no. All Zmf are supremely comfortable.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #7,491 of 7,495
You won't get 60% of Susvara on a solo TT2, and without powerful amplification the subbass is not going to do it for you.

Have you tried Caldera? Ticks all the boxes you're looking for if Utopia was a no. All Zmf are supremely comfortable.
Absolutely agree with you.

I have been using the Hugo TT2 as a DAC for years (a great device) but never used it as an AMP for my Abyss 1266 THI TC. I was able to hear the old Utopia and the Susvara directly on the Bartók at dCS in 2022. The Utopia sounded sensational, the best pairing I have ever heard the Utopia in, on the other side the Susvara it sounded thin, hardly any bass and the spatiality was very limited. The best symmetry for the Susvara that I have ever heard was the Feliks Envy. I found the Envy with the Susvara better than Hifiman's own EF1000 AMP.

Jun 2, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #7,492 of 7,495
Logically, I don't understand why you would replace a brand new Diana DZ with a used Susvara? How did the previous owner treat the headphones and I also find it unhygienic to buy used headphones from a stranger. But that's just me.
You best stay far away from the Head-Fi classifieds… 😆🫣

Jun 2, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #7,494 of 7,495
Logically, I don't understand why you would replace a brand new Diana DZ with a used Susvara? How did the previous owner treat the headphones and I also find it unhygienic to buy used headphones from a stranger. But that's just me.
This is a fair and valid point. In my experience, it’s hit or miss. The Elite I purchased from another Head-Fi’er, for example, was literally in like-new condition and very well kept.

I have purchased (and returned due to this) another headphone that was very questionable shape and smelled like a high school locker room. lol.

What I do now is look at the pictures closely. I try to judge not only the headphones condition but their cleanliness, and also the room/condition in which they seem to be kept. That way I can usually get more successes.

Jun 2, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #7,495 of 7,495
When I had the Susvara for a couple weeks, I used it with my TT2 and, near full volume, it actually was fine for daily listening.

I was considering a used Burson, Schiit, or Holo Bliss to place in front of the TT2 in case I need more power.

Utopia was great, I just always missed the bass. I’ve never tried a ZMF and really am intrigued!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back