Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 31, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #20,671 of 20,675
I did not listen to the OG Utopia, so i can not compare. I bought the Cayin Ha6a and i am testing it with the Utopia 22. There is more than enough bass for my taste with the 6.3 plug. With the xlr plug there is way too much bass.

I am keen to read your comparison soon.

May 31, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #20,672 of 20,675
I did not listen to the OG Utopia, so i can not compare. I bought the Cayin Ha6a and i am testing it with the Utopia 22. There is more than enough bass for my taste with the 6.3 plug. With the xlr plug there is way too much bass.

Actually you know what, I just remembered that I was using the XLR cable with the new Utopia and using 6.3 plug now with the OG so that bass comparison has no validity for now.

I will use 6.3 with both headphones for fair comparison.

May 31, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #20,673 of 20,675
Listening to the Focal Utopia OG 2020 now - it has a rather smooth sound with plenty of dynamics (including bass dynamics, which seems to be an oxymoron, but isn't). I use all my headphones with Oratory1990 EQ and it's always a good thing, except when it's not (oddly, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 3 sounds better raw). Loving the pairing of the "Swiss Army Knife" Merging Anubis with all my headphones. It has capabilities much like the RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE, except better in some areas (far expanded Parametric Equalizer - 12 band vs 7 band). The only drawback is the requirement for ethernet cable connection for digital - USB to ethernet adapters solves that problem. The Neumann MT48 is almost the same, but with USB-C and optical connections as well, which may be more convenient. Merging Anubis and Neumann MT-48 only do SE headphone output, if that's a problem. It certainly isn't at Casa Buchanan.
PS - the headphone to amp cables on my Focal Utopia look different to other photos I've seen - Black LEMO connectors and a Black and White cable with a fabric cover. It must have been one of the last OG Utopias ever produced - bought during the Addicted To Audio "We're dropping Focal" fire sale.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #20,674 of 20,675

I have the new Utopia and tried it out with the Cayin HA6A last week but the amp was hopeless with an obvious crackling sound. I wasted a whole three days trying out different options to solve this. Perhaps I’m an outlier and just got really unlucky with a bad amp. But for the best part of £3000 the Cayin was a very poor experience.

May 31, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #20,675 of 20,675
I have the new Utopia and tried it out with the Cayin HA6A last week but the amp was hopeless with an obvious crackling sound. I wasted a whole three days trying out different options to solve this. Perhaps I’m an outlier and just got really unlucky with a bad amp. But for the best part of £3000 the Cayin was a very poor experience.
Probably one of the tubes as I have had that issue in the past and found it to be a bad tube.

If you switch the tubes round and notice the crackling coming from the other side this time its definitely the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back