Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 31, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #18,558 of 18,567
@Reactcore - thanks for the confirmation of that viewpoint. I am a tweaker at heart, I work in medical imaging and always tweaking something, but have to agree just having a complete reliable system that sounds good is most likely the way to go.

I usually purchase new but might look pre-owned if in good condition at the timing is right. Also need to find a good streamer to feed the M-Scaler with an optical out. I mentioned the Melco but it is only USB. I know there are a few options out there. Not sure if I need it to be Roon or now as I am not looking for that type of long term commitment.

Thoughts on a streamer to front the M-Scaler?

May 31, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #18,560 of 18,567
@Reactcore - thanks for the confirmation of that viewpoint. I am a tweaker at heart, I work in medical imaging and always tweaking something, but have to agree just having a complete reliable system that sounds good is most likely the way to go.

I usually purchase new but might look pre-owned if in good condition at the timing is right. Also need to find a good streamer to feed the M-Scaler with an optical out. I mentioned the Melco but it is only USB. I know there are a few options out there. Not sure if I need it to be Roon or now as I am not looking for that type of long term commitment.

Oh i tweaked my heart out.. just see the links in my signature 😄

For streamers theres plenty choces.. id say go with the most convenient interfaced one.

I dont stream myself, ive made a player out of a thinclient PC with a ddc and foobar2k & Jriver MC with multiple remote apps on my phone/tablet.

It reads files locally from disk and using SMB from my network storage.

Jun 1, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #18,561 of 18,567

A pi4 with an optical hat will give you bit perfect into the mscaler. I use a justboom optical hat. It has very low jitter. An ifi power supply is an economical low noise option. I use ropieee for the software which gives you every type of software interface.

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #18,562 of 18,567
Hi guys, could someone help me please?
After a long time I am finally connecting my desktop setup back to work. But I have a dilema, how should I connect my M Scaler (and Hugo TT2 also) to the power? Should I connect 15V plug to M Scaler first, and then to my Niagara 1200, or otherwise?
This might looks like noob question, but sticker on 15V power brick show this, so I am little bit confused:) . I also read manual for both devices, but didnt find specific answer for it.
maybe @Rob Watts
IMG_3587.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #18,563 of 18,567
Hi guys, could someone help me please?
After a long time I am finally connecting my desktop setup back to work. But I have a dilema, how should I connect my M Scaler (and Hugo TT2 also) to the power? Should I connect 15V plug to M Scaler first, and then to my Niagara 1200, or otherwise?
This might looks like noob question, but sticker on 15V power brick show this, so I am little bit confused:) . I also read manual for both devices, but didnt find specific answer for it.
maybe @Rob Watts
IMG_3587.jpeg
To the wall first, then you connect the unit.

Jun 2, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #18,567 of 18,567
Im playing around with a €15 little Savitech BravoHD with SA9227 USB driver chip to Spdif & Toslink.

It does 384k like a charm. Ofc toslink goes as far as 192k. Skipping forth and back live while playing between coax and toslink makes no difference in SQ with Hms dual optical linked to Dave.

IMG-20240601-WA0006.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back