Two cables , same wire , different connectors , diff sound? ( Yup)
May 17, 2024 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nkam

100+ Head-Fier
Isn’t that crazy?

I got done making two headphone cables.
Both with Belden 24 AWG 1508a cable.

Both 6 feet long
One has Neutrik connectors. 1/4” TRS Jack and AEC mini XLR
The other has Furutech connectors 1/4” TRS and Mini XLR

I just got done flipping cables and letting my wife hear.
She had the exact same impressions as me

The Furutech was cleaner, but glassy and not as much bass impact. Deep bass yes, but not as much punch.

The Neutrik had more punch, and more filled in sound and more impact.

We both liked the Furutech for Jazz , but the plain Jane Neutrik for everything else.

In general we liked the much cheaper Neutrik.

The thing that’s crazy is that , there shouldn’t be any differences. But there are. Go figure.

I’m bored so I’m getting some different wire to see if I can hear the diff between wire.
Just thought maybe some might find it interesting.

Cheers

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 5
I think it's very interesting.
A place where few have gone before. Someone recently compared a pair of 3000.00 Effect Audio cables. Same cable just using their 2 pin on one and their interchangeable ends on the other. Strait 2 pin won for sound quality. I wish someone would test these new interchangeable termination cables for sound quality
I think EA made a big mistake with there TermX conectors. Who would put those crappy connectors on a $5000.00 cable? They did and the're hoping none of us test them back to back for sound quality.

May 26, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 5
I think it's very interesting.
A place where few have gone before. Someone recently compared a pair of 3000.00 Effect Audio cables. Same cable just using their 2 pin on one and their interchangeable ends on the other. Strait 2 pin won for sound quality. I wish someone would test these new interchangeable termination cables for sound quality
I think EA made a big mistake with there TermX conectors. Who would put those crappy connectors on a $5000.00 cable? They did and the're hoping none of us test them back to back for sound quality.

I have to look up those terminations. But yeah some terminations are made terribly, especially when they are small.

After doing all these tests or making cables, my favorite are AECO for 1/4” jacks and Neutrik and Amphenol for mini XLR. They are robust and sound great.

Mind you, we are talking very small differences here. Might not pass a blind test.

I didn’t like the Furutech rhodium sound. Those you could pass a blind test easily on. And I have no idea why they sound so different. They have a very clear sound, sorta glassy. Just different.

And for some reason I like Belden tinned wire much More than Mogami OFC. Sounds fuller and more detailed.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back