Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
May 26, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #1,561 of 1,575
Happy place to be in!

one note (sorry in advancešŸ¤£) but I've recently discovered the AIC10 + R10 is a wonderful combination. Blew my mind away. Took my "bass light" R10 and filled it up with texture and depth I was overwhelmed (Mullard M8136 tube).

You all are ruthless with the AIC propaganda lol

No seriously, the way the AIC performed with more sensitive cans stood out crazily to me. The R10 and L3000 sounded amazing out of it, which was a major draw to me. They don't mesh naturally with the EC 300b/CFA3 combo. They both sound great out of the EC, but with a bit less slam and slightly less preferred overall tonality without the CFA3 behind it. The one box solution is a big appeal factor for me.

To be very honest, I only found the AIC a bit better than than EC/CFA3 combo, which is what makes the premium price so hard to swallow. After my wallet cools off I'm sure I'll go down that path though. I absolutely want it, no question lol

May 27, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #1,562 of 1,575

No seriously, the way the AIC performed with more sensitive cans stood out crazily to me. The R10 and L3000 sounded amazing out of it, which was a major draw to me. They don't mesh naturally with the EC 300b/CFA3 combo. They both sound great out of the EC, but with a bit less slam and slightly less preferred overall tonality without the CFA3 behind it. The one box solution is a big appeal factor for me.

To be very honest, I only found the AIC a bit better than than EC/CFA3 combo, which is what makes the premium price so hard to swallow. After my wallet cools off I'm sure I'll go down that path though. I absolutely want it, no question lol

šŸ¤£

yea, for sure, the gaps diminish materially as one scales in gear and price. where to call it is a very personal financial/taste/judgment decision - really impossible to say

the CFA3 you have that I previously had I thought was, and still is, one of the best amps ever. in fact, if I focused on SS, I don't think I'd ever replace it. spectacularly resolving and spacious.

but I do get that extra texture with the AIC10 that just really grabs me

May 27, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #1,563 of 1,575
May 27, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #1,564 of 1,575

Out of curiosity, what tubes do you use for ec? I found r10 liked a more linear tube in aic (though, admittedly my dac is mega mega colored), so elrogs may be worth a shot

As for aic pricing, yah.... as much as I want to covert everyone possible, idk I could justify the current pricing. There have legit been 3 price hikes since I bought less than 2 years ago...

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,565 of 1,575
Out of curiosity, what tubes do you use for ec? I found r10 liked a more linear tube in aic (though, admittedly my dac is mega mega colored), so elrogs may be worth a shot

As for aic pricing, yah.... as much as I want to covert everyone possible, idk I could justify the current pricing. There have legit been 3 price hikes since I bought less than 2 years ago...

Since all the vendorā€™s in that price tier have been increasing prices, I wonder if itā€™s just market demand or some inflation on some of their supply chains that is driving it.

May 27, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,566 of 1,575

I'm just using modern production Psvanes. I never upgraded as I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the EC/CFA3 combo, and I also enjoy the sound as is. But I definitely need to try Elrogs and WBs in it, and also have extra incentive as additional tube rolling options for the Pacific (although it seems the 300b isn't a preferred tube with it.)

Since all the vendorā€™s in that price tier have been increasing prices, I wonder if itā€™s just market demand or some inflation on some of their supply chains that is driving it.

I would hope that's the case and that the price increases are generally warranted. I do wonder how it will impact their sales volume.. but perhaps it won't given other similar increases and already being in a premium tier.

May 28, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,567 of 1,575
Was supposed to compare the HE90 and Aperio directly with intense A/Bing and I never got past using the HE90 lol

But I also had been using the Aperio for quite some time solely, so getting back to the Shang Sr., HE90 and R10 have been a nice treat and distracting. Also had an amazing session with the R10 yesterday as well.

What isn't news to me is that every single headphone comes with its own issues and tradeoffs.. what I am newly starting to have more appreciation for are the headphones that strike more of a balance. The Shang Sr. is never going to be a mass fan favorite (bass and neutral bright tuning). The Sr1a (bass issues), the x9000 (to a lesser degree but also optimized for a more analytical sound), the Expanse (lighter bass impact), the Valkryia (darker tone and lighter bass impact/subbas), etc. all of the headphones that have uniqueness and by nature their own quirks are just going to be less universally loved. And naturally so.

For me, while appreciating all of the aforementioned headphones and plenty others, I just get why people love the Susvara the way they do. Same for the HE90. I get why people have less appreciation for uniqueness and the wow factors many headphones have as a direct tradeoff to completeness. The Aperio factors in here as well.. as it's not my natural preferred presentation, but I can easily see how it's preferred by many--very complete in most regards, just a bit closed in compared to similar priced/positioned offerings.

Anyways, just a bit of rambling after a night of 4hrs+ listening :)

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #1,568 of 1,575
Was supposed to compare the HE90 and Aperio directly with intense A/Bing and I never got past using the HE90 lol

But I also had been using the Aperio for quite some time solely, so getting back to the Shang Sr., HE90 and R10 have been a nice treat and distracting. Also had an amazing session with the R10 yesterday as well.

What isn't news to me is that every single headphone comes with its own issues and tradeoffs.. what I am newly starting to have more appreciation for are the headphones that strike more of a balance. The Shang Sr. is never going to be a mass fan favorite (bass and neutral bright tuning). The Sr1a (bass issues), the x9000 (to a lesser degree but also optimized for a more analytical sound), the Expanse (lighter bass impact), the Valkryia (darker tone and lighter bass impact/subbas), etc. all of the headphones that have uniqueness and by nature their own quirks are just going to be less universally loved. And naturally so.

For me, while appreciating all of the aforementioned headphones and plenty others, I just get why people love the Susvara the way they do. Same for the HE90. I get why people have less appreciation for uniqueness and the wow factors many headphones have as a direct tradeoff to completeness. The Aperio factors in here as well.. as it's not my natural preferred presentation, but I can easily see how it's preferred by many--very complete in most regards, just a bit closed in compared to similar priced/positioned offerings.

Anyways, just a bit of rambling after a night of 4hrs+ listening :)

Last rambling thought! The completeness and lack of a wow factor for headphones like the Susvara and HE90 are also sticking points for others. Again, it's all about a game of tradeoffs and what matters for you.

There will never be a perfect, complete package and that's extremely frustrating for me at least lol, but to be expected..

May 29, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #1,569 of 1,575
Last rambling thought! The completeness and lack of a wow factor for headphones like the Susvara and HE90 are also sticking points for others. Again, it's all about a game of tradeoffs and what matters for you.

There will never be a perfect, complete package and that's extremely frustrating for me at least lol, but to be expected..
I'm really curious to hear your impressions of an Immanis after breaking it in and putting it through its paces. I've found it both complete and to have the wow factor.

May 29, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #1,570 of 1,575
That says a lot.
The He90 is truly special. Luckily my dealer has a unit in his headphone Museum and I could audition it briefly.

The key to start the amp was amusing though

May 29, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #1,571 of 1,575
I'm really curious to hear your impressions of an Immanis after breaking it in and putting it through its paces. I've found it both complete and to have the wow factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. And the only real outstanding question for me is, "does it have an obvious weakness or gap"? From when I auditioned it, it didn't seem to be the case, but again the noise wasn't great. Random, but oddly enough the noise at Axpona was largely self induced. Every table I went to there was an event volunteer loudly talking to the vendor. In hindsight it was really annoying.

That says a lot.
The He90 is truly special. Luckily my dealer has a unit in his headphone Museum and I could audition it briefly.

The key to start the amp was amusing though

Yea mainly it's just extremely easy listening in nature and checks all required boxes. Very easy to get lost into a listening session with it. There are headphones that definitely are a bit higher resolving or more open, etc. but typically not without some sort of major tradeoff. That's interesting, I've never seen or tried the actual Sennheiser amp that it was coupled with originally. Wasn't aware that a key is needed to start the amp, sounds annoying and weirdly unnecessary lol

May 29, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #1,572 of 1,575
The completeness and lack of a wow factor for headphones like the Susvara and HE90 are also sticking points for others.
Maybe. Personally I am wowed by them which is why they are my favorite HP. Obviously not perfect and I eventually would like an Immanis ( I have heard it ) among othersā€¦.

Jun 1, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #1,573 of 1,575
I've yet to compare more thoroughly the Pacific against the Dave. And the only reason is because I'm rediscovering all of my gear through it. The Shang Sr. and HE90 are just immaculate through it. The bigger window into the music, improvement in realism and resolution is just amazing. And again, all completely unexpected coming from the Dave/Mscaler.

I'm going to get to the more in-depth comparisons eventually I swear lol

Jun 1, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #1,574 of 1,575
The bigger window into the music, improvement in realism and resolution is just amazing. And again, all completely unexpected coming from the Dave/Mscaler.
I'm rereading your initial impressions of the Pacific as I had my first real demo of a tube DAC (LTA Aero) recently. I compared it against my Ferrum Erco Gen 2 which uses an output stage similar to the Ferrum Wandla and an upsampling filter developed by HQPlayer. The Aero is non-oversampling with an 18-bit R2R DAC chip and uses tubes in the output stage. I was very surprised to find that the Aero did not lack any detail vs the Erco despite all of the factors that should reduce detail. I was originally worried that I would find a tube DAC too smoothed over or warm, and that's just not the case.

Now reading your comments again, I feel like I can relate to that surprise in the amount of detail that can be heard in a tube DAC.

Jun 1, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #1,575 of 1,575
I'm rereading your initial impressions of the Pacific as I had my first real demo of a tube DAC (LTA Aero) recently. I compared it against my Ferrum Erco Gen 2 which uses an output stage similar to the Ferrum Wandla and an upsampling filter developed by HQPlayer. The Aero is non-oversampling with an 18-bit R2R DAC chip and uses tubes in the output stage. I was very surprised to find that the Aero did not lack any detail vs the Erco despite all of the factors that should reduce detail. I was originally worried that I would find a tube DAC too smoothed over or warm, and that's just not the case.

Now reading your comments again, I feel like I can relate to that surprise in the amount of detail that can be heard in a tube DAC.

For sure. I think tube and ss get too overly simplified. Tubes introduce distortion no question, but all that matters is what's audible, the design/topology and the end result. I've been extremely impressed with the Pacific detail/resolution wise.

Dave/Mscaler does have a more neutral/transparent tone to a slight degree, and I get if that' the end all be all for music to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back