HISENIOR AUDIO Discussion Thread
May 31, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #181 of 192
I also found the Divinus Velvet to seal and sound best for my ears.

May 31, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #182 of 192
Mega5EST loving power.
Graphs are not representative of how an IEM actually sounds. Mega5ESt has more bass than the graph suggests.

Also, Mega5ESt loves modest power not a ton of power. e.g. on the DX240, AMP8MKIIs, balanced, I keep it on low to medium gain. Anymore, and it just doesn't sound correct. There are also other things a Graph will never capture like IEM internal design, driver sensitivity etc. and how all that affects sound frequencies. I have a few excellent IEMs, and none sound as open and balanced as Mega5EST.

You need to hear it in person to understand.

There's a difference between reading about an experience and actually going through it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #183 of 192
Graphs are not representative of how an IEM actually sounds. Mega5ESt has more bass than the graph suggests.

Also, Mega5ESt loves modest power not a ton of power. e.g. on the DX240, AMP8MKIIs, balanced, I keep it on low to medium gain. Anymore, and it just doesn't sound correct. There are also other things a Graph will never capture like IEM internal design, driver sensitivity etc. and how all that affects sound frequencies. I have a few excellent IEMs, and none sound as open and balanced as Mega5EST.

You need to hear it in person to understand.

There's a difference between reading about an experience and actually going through it.

It definitely has more bass when adding tips like the velvet.. I wasn't expecting that to be honest 😅

May 31, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #184 of 192
Bass is also surprising to me, especially compared to how it graph's. Not a bad thing, though 😊
Edit: see post below.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #185 of 192
So, I've spend some significant time with the Mega 5EST now, and while I love a lot about them, I have one major issue with them: The bass.
While I liked it to begin with, and still do for bass light music, it simply becomes too dominant for music that has a good amount of bass in it. Most of the electronic stuff I listen to gets way to warm and the bass takes all focus. Gets annoying quite fast, to my ears.

So, any tips to reduce this, other than EQ? Maybe someone found a set of tips that takes the bass down a level? I've used the stock wide bore medium tips the most so far.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #186 of 192
So, I've spend some significant time with the Mega 5EST now, and while I love a lot about them, I have one major issue with them: The bass.
While I liked it to begin with, and still do for bass light music, it simply becomes too dominant for music that has a good amount of bass in it. Most of the electronic stuff I listen to gets way to warm and the bass takes all focus. Gets annoying quite fast, to my ears.

So, any tips to reduce this, other than EQ? Maybe someone found a set of tips that takes the bass down a level? I've used the stock wide bore medium tips the most so far.

I agree, and that's a major reason as to why I'm selling them unfortunately. I listen to a lot of edm, and I find the bass to overpower everything else. I've tried several tips, and haven't found one that brings the bass down to the level I like.

Jun 1, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #187 of 192

My guess it's since the upper mids is not as forward the bass weight get more weight to them, most IEMs follow upper mids more close to Harman target and this is south of that.

Personally I am addicted to sets tuned this way, and would have liked more bass on Mega5est 🫣

Jun 1, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #188 of 192

Personal experience has gravitate me toward the Coreir Brass when I want to tone down the bass, but it tends to push the treble a bit further.
(I haven't got the Al Alloy yet, in case anyone ask, still shipping.)

Other than that sometimes I found the JVC Spiral Dot++ could tame bass (at least for the Monarch MK3) but it's a bit iffy feeling at times and I prefer the comfort of Velvet more than Dot++.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #189 of 192
I agree, and that's a major reason as to why I'm selling them unfortunately. I listen to a lot of edm, and I find the bass to overpower everything else. I've tried several tips, and haven't found one that brings the bass down to the level I like.
Yeah, I can relate to that. A rough estimate is that I think the bass is too much on about 70% of the music I listen to.
For something like Creedence Clearwater Revival they sound great, as most of their recordings are light on bass.
But I'll try EQ if I can't find any tips that will help, before considering selling them.

My guess it's since the upper mids is not as forward the bass weight get more weight to them, most IEMs follow upper mids more close to Harman target and this is south of that.

Personally I am addicted to sets tuned this way, and would have liked more bass on Mega5est 🫣

And that's the beauty of a subjective hobby, no one is "incorrect/correct" about what sounds good 👍
I just didn't expect this amount of bass from this IEM.
And you might be very right about the upper mids, something I will test with EQ.

What I don't get, is that my Letshuoer S12 PRO had significant less bass, and looking at the graph, they should actually have more?
1000006031.png

Personal experience has gravitate me toward the Coreir Brass when I want to tone down the bass, but it tends to push the treble a bit further.
(I haven't got the Al Alloy yet, in case anyone ask, still shipping.)

Other than that sometimes I found the JVC Spiral Dot++ could tame bass (at least for the Monarch MK3) but it's a bit iffy feeling at times and I prefer the comfort of Velvet more than Dot++.
Thanks, will see if I can find those and give them a try 👍

Jun 1, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #190 of 192
Yeah, I can relate to that. A rough estimate is that I think the bass is too much on about 70% of the music I listen to.
For something like Creedence Clearwater Revival they sound great, as most of their recordings are light on bass.
But I'll try EQ if I can't find any tips that will help, before considering selling them.

And that's the beauty of a subjective hobby, no one is "incorrect/correct" about what sounds good 👍
And you might be very right about the upper mids, something I will test with EQ.

What I don't get, is that my Letshuoer S12 PRO had significant less bass, and looking at the graph, they should actually have more?

Bass grievances aside. How have you found the detail retrieval between the S12 and the Mega5EST? Similar? "Better"? Worse?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #191 of 192

Probably you don’t play with the same amount of volume on S12, since they have so much more mids and highs than Mega5EST. There is also the difference in drivers, with planar vs DD bass.

Edit: Thereby less perceived bass.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #192 of 192
Bass grievances aside. How have you found the detail retrieval between the S12 and the Mega5EST? Similar? "Better"? Worse?
I honestly can't tell you, as it's hard for me to focus on that stuff as long as the bass is a major issue for me, sorry.

Probably you don’t play with the same amount of volume on S12, since they have so much more mids and highs than Mega5EST. There is also the difference in drivers, with planar vs DD bass.

Edit: Thereby less perceived bass.
Could very well be, volume matching is almost impossible with IEM's for me. Haven't found a good method yet.
So that could be a major contributing factor for sure.

I just lowered 100hz and down with 3dB and that feels like a significant improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back