Rebel Amp
May 20, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #301 of 305
I wonder if they will make a balanced version and keep the green colour? That would be great.

May 20, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #303 of 305
I doubt they'll make it balanced. Balanced is bs anyways. Just more expensive. Give me a powerful unbalanced amp any day.

Well I have used a number of amps with both SE and balanced headphone jacks. The balanced connection seemed to sound better to me. But maybe the manufacturer just gimps the SE jack to promote the balanced option.

May 20, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #304 of 305
Well I have used a number of amps with both SE and balanced headphone jacks. The balanced connection seemed to sound better to me. But maybe the manufacturer just gimps the SE jack to promote the balanced option.

No, you misread me. Any balanced amp will sound better in balanced mode than in SE mode. That's inherent in the design.

However, balanced amps is mostly a dual mono design, and you need twice the number of parts. Instead they could (and should imo) use the resources on better parts in SE mode. Almost every stereo amp for speakers is single ended. True balanced is an expensive gimmick, however since everybody's doing it, we are stuck with it.

May 20, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #305 of 305
No, you misread me. Any balanced amp will sound better in balanced mode than in SE mode. That's inherent in the design.

However, balanced amps is mostly a dual mono design, and you need twice the number of parts. Instead they could (and should imo) use the resources on better parts in SE mode. Almost every stereo amp for speakers is single ended. True balanced is an expensive gimmick, however since everybody's doing it, we are stuck with it.

Well I have long thought there are too many type of connectors. For decades we have had both 3.5mm and 1/4" jacks for headphones. Why not just have those and design them in such a way that the jacks can accommodate both unbalanced and balanced plugs from the headphone. Instead you have 2.5mm, 4.4mm, 4 pin XLR as well as 3.5mm and 1/4" for balanced and unbalanced options. That's too many.

In any event I had a Rebel Amp in the past and it was pretty good. Perhaps I'll keep and eye out for one on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back