The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 29, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #3,736 of 3,747
Today the ZMF Aegis arrived Germany :heart_eyes:

ZMF Aegis.jpg

first Song with ZMF Auteur and i have no words, only an another pic :grin:

Gänsehaut.jpg
I thought I’d seen my last hairy arm shot when I stopped spending time on the watch forums. :). Glad it’s rocking your world.

May 29, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #3,737 of 3,747
While I ordered it primarily for my low impedance planar headphones that the Folkvangr isn’t good with, I’ve discovered the Mjolnir 3 has a great synergy with the Verite Closed.

The VC with Suede Be2 pads running off of the MJ3 and Yggy OG A2 is a great combo. Super punchy and dynamic, with the MJ3 really helping to bring out the top end of the VC and keeping it from sounding too dark like it can sometimes.

The suede Be2 pads are awesome too, I think they’re at least partially responsible for how punchy and lively the VC sounds now.
My Mjolnir 3 showed up yesterday and like you I got it to give me more flexibility with headphones that don’t work so well with the Folkvangr. Also like you, I really like how the VC sounds on it.

May 29, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #3,738 of 3,747
My Mjolnir 3 showed up yesterday and like you I got it to give me more flexibility with headphones that don’t work so well with the Folkvangr. Also like you, I really like how the VC sounds on it.
I go back and forth about whether I like it more on the Folkvangr or MJ3, it does sound amazing on both and both give it a different feel.

Two great amps and tons of great headphones, it’s a shame I only have two ears.

May 29, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #3,739 of 3,747
My Aegis is due this Friday. I plan to put it up against my current favorite amp, the Mjolnir 3. I know they’ll both have their strengths, but I hope the Aegis wins me over in the end with all my headphones so I can sell the MJ3 and soothe my poor wallet.

May 29, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #3,740 of 3,747
I go back and forth about whether I like it more on the Folkvangr or MJ3, it does sound amazing on both and both give it a different feel.

Two great amps and tons of great headphones, it’s a shame I only have two ears.
.... and only 24hrs / day 😒 ....

May 29, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #3,741 of 3,747
My Aegis is due this Friday. I plan to put it up against my current favorite amp, the Mjolnir 3. I know they’ll both have their strengths, but I hope the Aegis wins me over in the end with all my headphones so I can sell the MJ3 and soothe my poor wallet.
Lucky you. I keep telling myself I don’t need the Aegis but I really want one. Maybe I’m lucky I don’t have space for it right now.

Eventually I think I’ll end up getting an Atrium Closed though, so maybe I’ll order one the next time ZMF does a stabilized drop so I can combine them for savings.

Then again I also saw Zach mention something about a Custom Shop they’re trying to set up. If they take requests maybe I get get an AC or CC in Snakewood, I think that would look amazing.

May 29, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #3,742 of 3,747
Lucky you. I keep telling myself I don’t need the Aegis but I really want one. Maybe I’m lucky I don’t have space for it right now.

Eventually I think I’ll end up getting an Atrium Closed though, so maybe I’ll order one the next time ZMF does a stabilized drop so I can combine them for savings.

Then again I also saw Zach mention something about a Custom Shop they’re trying to set up. If they take requests maybe I get get an AC or CC in Snakewood, I think that would look amazing.
I really like the idea of a custom shop. That said, I think I’m due for a headphone upgrade first. With the MJ3 there’s a whole range of reasonable possibilities, but after hearing it with my current phones I’m thinking a Caldera might pair well. Enjoying the MJ3 with the VCs seems like a good indicator.

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #3,743 of 3,747

Two great amps and tons of great headphones, it’s a shame I only have two ears.***
*** 🤔 .... extra headphones on head, high volume, bone conduction .... 🫰👍🤪

May 30, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #3,744 of 3,747
Have anyone tried already tube rolling with the aegis? If so, which tubes have you found to work better for your setup? (I am mostly interested in headphones-tubes pairing).
Thanks!

May 30, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #3,745 of 3,747
Have anyone tried already tube rolling with the aegis? If so, which tubes have you found to work better for your setup? (I am mostly interested in headphones-tubes pairing).
Thanks!
Check out both of the Aegis threads , heaps of tube rolling going on there :thumbsup:

May 30, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #3,746 of 3,747
May 30, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #3,747 of 3,747
Thanks!

TLDR; best output tube options for me are Mullard EL37 (massive soundstage) and Tung-Sol made 6550 (thicker texture and bass). Both NOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back