Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
May 13, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,221 of 3,507
I'm going to keep trying with the RE-400s for a bit longer.

In the meanwhile I just want to say thank you to everyone on here. This was my first post on head-fi and you guys have been amazingly helpful. What a great community!

May 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,222 of 3,507
I'm having problem with the strain relief on my RE-400. It's not unattached yet but is getting so; there is no disconnection yet, but its clearly tearing from the iem. And I'm ridiculously careful with my stuff; it happened trying to take off the complys.  I emailed HiFiMan the end of last week but haven't heard anything back. How long has it taken HiFiMan to get back, in your experience? 

May 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2,224 of 3,507
My UE700's broke right before I'm going on holiday and I need a pair of compact IEMs urgently. Analogue Solutions has them in stock for £89, which is €110 plus ten for shipping to Ireland. Head Direct then have them for $99 plus $10 for shipping, which is around €80. Obviously that is cheaper, but there are fewer guarantees that it'll arrive in time by the 28th of May since it'll be coming from China. Also, that €80 might be more if I'm charged any taxes or duties. Any thoughts? Unfortunately non of the other UK dealers like Advanced MP3 and Electromod have them in stock.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,226 of 3,507
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone's enjoying their RE-400's (and 600's, for that matter). I have an issue with my chin slider on my RE-400. The cables are so smooth that the chin slider will slide down and not hold the cables in place. Becase of this, I struggle to get a fit over the ear due to the cables being unsinched and falling off around my ears.

Is there anyone that has had this problem with their chin slider? Are there any simple solutions? I would prefer not to do anything potentially dangerous to them in terms of DIY stuff: $100 IEM's aren't too cheap for my teenage budget!

Thanks.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #2,227 of 3,507
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone's enjoying their RE-400's (and 600's, for that matter). I have an issue with my chin slider on my RE-400. The cables are so smooth that the chin slider will slide down and not hold the cables in place. Becase of this, I struggle to get a fit over the ear due to the cables being unsinched and falling off around my ears.

Is there anyone that has had this problem with their chin slider? Are there any simple solutions? I would prefer not to do anything potentially dangerous to them in terms of DIY stuff: $100 IEM's aren't too cheap for my teenage budget!

Thanks.

unfortunately its the same with everyone's mines is the same the demo in the store i tried them in were the same

its basically useless the chin slider, but i don't have a problem with looping them over my ear, they flop around when running and stuff but when sitting or walking the weight of the cable is enough to bring the keep the cable in place

what you could try: put some electrical tape around the y splitter(electrical tape adds a bit of weight, wrapp it around the y splitter labelling hifiman re400) keeping the cable in place when worn so it doesn't flop around

another solution would be to use ear guides

vmoda.com has some on their website under accessories

good luck!

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,228 of 3,507
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

I can say from experience that it's hit or miss with the slider piece, as I've had 2 pair of RE-400, I've demoed an RE-600 and tried another RE-400 at a meet.  Of the two I have, one stays better than the other but none have been perfect.  The RE-600's slider is coated like the driver housing so it tends to stay better than the RE-400s I have tried.  I just cut a small section of a twist-tie and put it right below where I wanted the slider:

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2,230 of 3,507
Finally got to hear both of these bad boys. They sounded pretty neutral and perhaps a step up from the RE0, but ultimately exhibit some of the same shortcomings in the treble imo. The dips there take away from overall detail and timbre with many instruments (horns, guitars, cymbals) and even voices to a lesser degree. There is a distinct fuzz or lack of clarity in those upper registers to my ears. The same problem held the RE0 back from being a truly great phone. How much of this depends on fit and depth I'm not sure, but on Rin's site he mentions the RE0 performing better at shallow depths, and the RE400 better when deeper. Seems like it'd be difficult to get the RE400 up to the reference plane.

I'd love to A/B the two, and see if the RE400 is actually better or not. Anyone have any specific impressions comparing the two? It's been too long since I had the RE0.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,231 of 3,507
Finally got to hear both of these bad boys. They sounded pretty neutral and perhaps a step up from the RE0, but ultimately exhibit some of the same shortcomings in the treble imo. The dips there take away from overall detail and timbre with many instruments (horns, guitars, cymbals) and even voices to a lesser degree. There is a distinct fuzz or lack of clarity in those upper registers to my ears. The same problem held the RE0 back from being a truly great phone. How much of this depends on fit and depth I'm not sure, but on Rin's site he mentions the RE0 performing better at shallow depths, and the RE400 better when deeper. Seems like it'd be difficult to get the RE400 up to the reference plane.

I'd love to A/B the two, and see if the RE400 is actually better or not. Anyone have any specific impressions comparing the two? It's been too long since I had the RE0.

i'm curious, hope this doesn't come across as passive aggressive but which iem are you comparing with the re400.

i actually find their treble fabulous great extension and very delicate (maybe thats what you mean by the fuzzy) the treble definitely doesn't sizzle for more exciting music. this is probably why some put them off as boring.

i love the treble probably more than any other gear i have, not that that's saying much. (gr07 be, monster turbines, jvc fxd80s, (headphones--> noontec zoros, vmoda xs))

*edit=- i would love to hear what your hearing! =)

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,232 of 3,507
  i'm curious, hope this doesn't come across as passive aggressive but which iem are you comparing with the re400.

i actually find their treble fabulous great extension and very delicate (maybe thats what you mean by the fuzzy) the treble definitely doesn't sizzle for more exciting music. this is probably why some put them off as boring.

i love the treble probably more than any other gear i have, not that that's saying much. (gr07 be, monster turbines, jvc fxd80s, (headphones--> noontec zoros, vmoda xs))

*edit=- i would love to hear what your hearing! =)

No it's a good question! The iems with the most linear treble I've heard are the ER4S, MH1, and Tenore (with a good pair). I put these three above all of the totl iems I've auditioned, especially in the highs. Using tones, the treble on those iems is very even and linear throughout the FR, with maybe one dip hear or there, but nothing like the RE400. But again, I'm sure fit plays a part in treble emphasis, and if I was able to get a fit with maybe a little more emphasis, then maybe the dips would be less apparent and the treble more neutral and convincing overall. 

It seems you hear them the same way. I don't think they're bad at all, just a bit behind what I consider totl treble. I'd probably find the more relaxing sound sig quite enjoyable for a lot of music tbh.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,233 of 3,507

No it's a good question! The iems with the most linear treble I've heard are the ER4S, MH1, and Tenore (with a good pair). I put these three above all of the totl iems I've auditioned, especially in the highs. Using tones, the treble on those iems is very even and linear throughout the FR, with maybe one dip hear or there, but nothing like the RE400. But again, I'm sure fit plays a part in treble emphasis, and if I was able to get a fit with maybe a little more emphasis, then maybe the dips would be less apparent and the treble more neutral and convincing overall. 

It seems you hear them the same way. I don't think they're bad at all, just a bit behind what I consider totl treble. I'd probably find the more relaxing sound sig quite enjoyable for a lot of music tbh.

those mh1s have been all the rave for a while now on head-fi it seems, i think its time i finally suck it up (with the flat j-type cable and not being able to wear it over the ear). or settle on those tenores, 64$ cdn on amazon.ca, sounds like good deal to me =) i got some researching to do. 

indeed, yes the are, and thats what i find myself using them for very very often

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,234 of 3,507
I'm quite puzzled with one pair of tips that came with my RE-400.

They're the small, single-flange tips but on the interior there seems to be a rubber "bridge".

Is this a manufacturing defect? Or is it supposed to change something in the sound of the iem?

/rant
*From the tips that came with the package, I just can't find a pair that fits my ear as comfortable as my Westones.
confused_face.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,235 of 3,507
  I'm quite puzzled with one pair of tips that came with my RE-400.

They're the small, single-flange tips but on the interior there seems to be a rubber "bridge".

Is this a manufacturing defect? Or is it supposed to change something in the sound of the iem?

/rant
*From the tips that came with the package, I just can't find a pair that fits my ear as comfortable as my Westones.
confused_face.gif

They are not a defect...  The "bar" was originally there for users to be able to add in a filter to filter sound for customization.  The tip was not manufactured by HiFiMan, so this was not their intent.  HiFiMan did a few measurements with and without (they cut off the bar) the bar and found no change in sound.  Measuring out the bar, you'll find that it resonates at above 30 kHz which isn't audible and that would be the only change it sound that would be possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back