Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,896 of 4,841
Quote:
I just think EX1000 has a very bright treble but not quite refined. It won't bother me if NT6Pro has a very bright treble. But it will annoy me , if NT6Pro sounds unrefined.
EX1000's harshness is also due to its thin midrange. Imagining of EX1000's midrange also isn't good enough. I guess NT6Pro's midrange and treble won't be worse than those of EX1000.

I keep ratings of quality for each part of the spectrum and the EX1000 scored a 38/100 while the NT-6 and NT-6 pro both scored 95/100, so I would think you are fine.  But, the sound signatures do share some characteristics as a word of caution, but the Hidition products are much more technically competent, including bringing out the worst in poorly mastered tracks (although not as much as some others such as the IERM).   

Quote:
average_joe, I'm not sure if you've read the headstage arrow thread, but apparently the 4g's output impedance is 3-5ohms. It is pretty high for CIEMs, did you experience any significant changes in sound signatures when using the 4g? Curious as it didn't seem like you didn't have a problem with the UE IERMs and arrow 4g.

I have used a 4G in many of my recent reviews.  The amp is generally different in sound sig than all my other amp as it has a wide presentation that doesn't have the best depth and is on the warm side.  There are adjustments for the treble which do work well.  I do notice deep bass rolloff, most likely in part due to the boosted mid-bass that adds the warmth, which makes the deep bass seem less substantial.  I also have a full review in my multi-amp thread if you haven't seen it.

Quote:
I thought BA doesn't to a good job at full range and that's why crossovers existed. Interesting though.

Both BAs and dynamic drivers have different limitations, and this is a complex subject when you really get into it, but multiple BAs typically result in better dynamics and extension.

Quote:
Oh, I just realize that not everyone is able to make NT6Pro (3 tubes) or NT6 (3 tubes). It also will depend on their ear canal's size, just like SE5 way.
Hope my impressions can work.

I don't recall Hidition ever mentioning that; is that what you were told?  The three sound tubes would seem to be much easier to fit than the 5 in the SE5.

Quote:
What would be the point of 4 of the same drivers doing the same things in such a small space?  What am I missing here?

Ask Sony :)  Dynamics, headroom, bandwidth?  Maybe the manufacturer can answer that one.  

From what I understand, the CK10 used a TWFK without a crossover with great success, and had excellent bass depth and good treble extension.  Maybe tomscy2000 can verify.

May 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,897 of 4,841
Quote:

I keep ratings of quality for each part of the spectrum and the EX1000 scored a 38/100 while the NT-6 and NT-6 pro both scored 95/100, so I would think you are fine.  But, the sound signatures do share some characteristics as a word of caution, but the Hidition products are much more technically competent, including bringing out the worst in poorly mastered tracks (although not as much as some others such as the IERM).   

You do rate? May i have a look at your score chart? That will a lot helpful! 
:)

May 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2,898 of 4,841
Quote:
I don't recall Hidition ever mentioning that; is that what you were told?  The three sound tubes would seem to be much easier to fit than the 5 in the SE5.

This is what i found on the section of their website, called "Required essential reading for overseas payment":

Please let us  know  by  e-mail (help@hidition.co.kr) what you want to buying :  model name  & colors & other options . 
   And send us your recent ear-impression.
   When the ear-impression is arrived , we will check your ear's shape and we can decide models & possibility  to make silicon-nozzle.
Sounds like there still will be some possibilities that you are not qualified for their certain CIEMs.
And yes, i think most people can be fitted in 3-tubes CIEMs.

May 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2,899 of 4,841
Quote:
  From what I understand, the CK10 used a TWFK without a crossover with great success, and had excellent bass depth and good treble extension.  Maybe tomscy2000 can verify.

TBH, I don't know what CW is doing with four full-range drivers that way. I've never seen its insides except for small photographs. I imagine, however, that the principle has a little to do with the ER4; the ER4S was underdamped to death, with miles of resistance between the driver and the input voltage. With four drivers, maybe CW is trying to do the same thing, except with drivers in series instead of resistors. My guess is, two in series, and two of those units in parallel, with additional resistance added. Either that, or the other way around --- two joined in parallel with resistance attached, and two of those units in either series or parallel. I really don't know though; this is blatant conjecture on my part. I'm likely able to see/hear the CW-L05QD by the end of June, so I'll likely have a clearer picture then. Either way, I assume this gives the listener a relatively accurate sound signature, while maintaining better headroom for input, and depending on the circuit schema, each driver may possibly be better dampened than that of the ER4S, giving better bass definition. I'm making these guesses because the CW-L01 and L01P were essentially CW's take on the ER4S and ER4P, respectively, except with different resistance and Sonion, rather than Knowles drivers. Hayashi-san seems to have a good understanding of that design route when it comes to building an accurate-sounding earpiece, so I imagine that this is the route he took for the QD, except with the further goal of adding better definition all around, which is a benefit of better electrical damping.

May 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #2,900 of 4,841
What would be the point of 4 of the same drivers doing the same things in such a small space?  What am I missing here?

The reason is quite obvious. It gives you the ability to increase impedance while maintaining the same headroom (spl) lack of crossovers eliminates problem of increased thd (harmonic distortion) and phase shifts. At the same time you are able to acoustically shape the output of each driver.

May 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,901 of 4,841
Here's an interesting fact, or rumor, however you want to put it. The current Hidition NT-6 is, according to many people and even the manufacturers themselves, actually revision 1.

Many claims the fisry version-revision 0 has slightly different crossover network, making it to have slightly brighter sound, more separation, more rock-hard bass, little bit more of sibilance et cetera.

However as I only have NT6 rev. 1 (and am not a particulary good critical listener anyway), I can't confirm the claim. Still, words are that, if you're interested, you can ask Hidition to make them with older settings and get the rev. 0.

Just thought to share a little bit of info here as the NT6 thread seems to be long dead.

May 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,902 of 4,841
Quote:
Here's an interesting fact, or rumor, however you want to put it. The current Hidition NT-6 is, according to many people and even the manufacturers themselves, actually revision 1.

Many claims the fisry version-revision 0 has slightly different crossover network, making it to have slightly brighter sound, more separation, more rock-hard bass, little bit more of sibilance et cetera.

However as I only have NT6 rev. 1 (and am not a particulary good critical listener anyway), I can't confirm the claim. Still, words are that, if you're interested, you can ask Hidition to make them with older settings and get the rev. 0.

Just thought to share a little bit of info here as the NT6 thread seems to be long dead.

I doubt this rumor can be true. First, i don't think there are a lot of people own both NT6 rev.1 and NT6 rev. 2. So whether the differences between these two versions exist is suspicious. Second, a lot of people have fit issues and sound leakage but they do not know. This kind of situation also will make slight differences in the sound.

May 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,903 of 4,841
I doubt this rumor can be true. First, i don't think there are a lot of people own both NT6 rev.1 and NT6 rev. 2. So whether the differences between these two versions exist is suspicious. Second, a lot of people have fit issues and sound leakage but they do not know. This kind of situation also will make slight differences in the sound.

Well, there is difference in crossover. That's something the manufacturer has admitted. However they are hesitant to give details.

Also, here in Korea, as Hidition is only local CIEM manufacturer, I hear some people actually seems to have both of them, while citaitions are still needed for this. Although there is someone who compared them, the new one being his, and the old one being someone elses, while it being a bit small but retains sealing. The differences I mentioned were from his words.

However, a revision is a revision. They did it on purpose, as the ones claim to have used both of them say the new one is better overall.

May 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,905 of 4,841
Quote:
Well, there is difference in crossover. That's something the manufacturer has admitted. However they are hesitant to give details.

Also, here in Korea, as Hidition is only local CIEM manufacturer, I hear some people actually seems to have both of them, while citaitions are still needed for this. Although there is someone who compared them, the new one being his, and the old one being someone elses, while it being a bit small but retains sealing. The differences I mentioned were from his words.

However, a revision is a revision. They did it on purpose, as the ones claim to have used both of them say the new one is better overall.

Yes, you might be right. I will ask Hidition for confirming your claim.
But i think your claim is only about NT6? My order will be NT6Pro. 

May 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,906 of 4,841
Quote:

That's why I mentioned before that I only wanted a pair of moo earplugs from them...

Someone had to give them a try though, you never know, they coulda sounded awesome :L I like looking at mine though :p

May 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2,908 of 4,841
Quote:
You do rate? May i have a look at your score chart? That will a lot helpful! 
:)

It isn't public, nor in a format for public consumption just yet.  I am trying to find the time to get all that done.

Quote:
This is what i found on the section of their website, called "Required essential reading for overseas payment":

Please let us  know  by  e-mail (help@hidition.co.kr) what you want to buying :  model name  & colors & other options . 
   And send us your recent ear-impression.
   When the ear-impression is arrived , we will check your ear's shape and we can decide models & possibility  to make silicon-nozzle.
Sounds like there still will be some possibilities that you are not qualified for their certain CIEMs.
And yes, i think most people can be fitted in 3-tubes CIEMs.

OK, thanks.  I vaguely think I remember that now that you brought it up...

Quote:

TBH, I don't know what CW is doing with four full-range drivers that way. I've never seen its insides except for small photographs. I imagine, however, that the principle has a little to do with the ER4; the ER4S was underdamped to death, with miles of resistance between the driver and the input voltage. With four drivers, maybe CW is trying to do the same thing, except with drivers in series instead of resistors. My guess is, two in series, and two of those units in parallel, with additional resistance added. Either that, or the other way around --- two joined in parallel with resistance attached, and two of those units in either series or parallel. I really don't know though; this is blatant conjecture on my part. I'm likely able to see/hear the CW-L05QD by the end of June, so I'll likely have a clearer picture then. Either way, I assume this gives the listener a relatively accurate sound signature, while maintaining better headroom for input, and depending on the circuit schema, each driver may possibly be better dampened than that of the ER4S, giving better bass definition. I'm making these guesses because the CW-L01 and L01P were essentially CW's take on the ER4S and ER4P, respectively, except with different resistance and Sonion, rather than Knowles drivers. Hayashi-san seems to have a good understanding of that design route when it comes to building an accurate-sounding earpiece, so I imagine that this is the route he took for the QD, except with the further goal of adding better definition all around, which is a benefit of better electrical damping.

Thanks for the explanation.  Also, do you know if the [now discontinued] Audio Technica CK10 used the TWFK in parallel vs. with a crossover?  That is what I have read from multiple sources.

Quote:

I do know the original NT-6 was reviewed by Golden Ears and they did change the tuning and I was one of the first (the first?) with the new tuning of the NT-6 and from what I understand.  The way you describe rev 0 vs. rev 1 seems a bit similar to my original NT-6 pro vs. the refitted version.  The original NT-6 pro had a similar note to the NT-6, but with the enhanced treble the overall experience wasn't always enjoyable and seemed too cold to me.  I also didn't have a perfect fit and the NT-6 pro did improve with 200+ hours of burn in.  I brought up my concerns to Hidition and I believe they may have changed the dampers when the did my refit as what I got back was a significant improvement to my ears.  The fit was also better, perfect in fact, and I know from experience that the difference between an OK fit and perfect fit can change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back