Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4,801 of 8,735
HK
Thanks for the honest follow up response. I've got enough $250 tubes for now. I'm going to resist temptation and look forward to a $60 pair that'll probably sound great.

It's more than buying brand names. It also about finding those gems.
Thanks.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,802 of 8,735
Quote:
HK
Thanks for the honest follow up response. I've got enough $250 tubes for now. I'm going to resist temptation and look forward to a $60 pair that'll probably sound great.
It's more than buying brand names. It also about finding those gems.
Thanks.

That's how Misterrogers (I'm pretty sure it was him) found the Lorenz...looking for reasonably priced tubes that sounded great.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #4,804 of 8,735
I have question to all of you...I have tube cd player and I'm adding valhalla.  I just found out that cd player is tube rollable. 
my question is that Do i need match with the valhalla? or use it different tubes?

Thanks

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,806 of 8,735
Quote:
I've just received my Lyr and have one quick question. After about an hour of playing music consistently, one of the tubes is running noticeably hotter than the other. Is this normal behavior, or does this reflect a mismatched pair? It's the tube closest to the back on the amp that's running hot.

Did you check the temperature of the tubes themselves?  Or is the back tube just glowing brighter?  There's a orange led in the Lyr that makes the back tube look like it's glowing more.  Try swapping the tubes to see if it gets hot in the front.  If it does then the tube may be bad and you can send an e-mail to Schiit so they can send you some replacement tubes.  I hope things work out ok for you.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4,809 of 8,735
Quote:
After switching the tubes around the back one still gets significantly hotter than the front. Also, FWIW, before and after the switch, when I'm not playing any music and crank the volume all the way up I can tap each tube with my fingernail and the back one sounds louder. I'm almost wondering if the back tube is receiving more current than the front. Although, I'm not hearing any channel imbalance.

I would contact Schitt. Sounds wrong to me. They have pretty awesome service, though I'm sure they are post Christmas slammed.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4,810 of 8,735
That's rather serious heater under voltage. Not something biasing is supposed to fix.

With Tube amps of all sorts it does not matter if you run them with lower voltage in the Lyr's case that would be 6.3V now it may not sound good or it may have no impact the Lorenz Stugarts one of my favorite tubes is I think 7 volts --- A real world example is - I usually manually under bias one Of my guitar Amp's (they do not autobias) to make the tubes last longer they do not last long as they are huge 6L6's and run so damned hot its like watching a nuclear bomb... You can even run higher voltage I do that in one of my amps to
get a sweeter spot but tube life will suffer... Since the Lyr is auto biasing if it sounds good hell the tube should last 15,000 hours if ya get lucky :)

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #4,811 of 8,735
Quote:
After switching the tubes around the back one still gets significantly hotter than the front. Also, FWIW, before and after the switch, when I'm not playing any music and crank the volume all the way up I can tap each tube with my fingernail and the back one sounds louder. I'm almost wondering if the back tube is receiving more current than the front. Although, I'm not hearing any channel imbalance.

I agree with Slowfade, you should contact Schiit and see if you can send the amp back to have it checked.  I've always had good service from them but they do get busy from time to time so you may have to be a bit patient with them.  Jason and Co. have always done their best to provide great support.  Just e-mail "support@schiit.com" and tell them what the problem is and what you did to check it, then see what they recommend.

Good Luck and Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4,812 of 8,735
I am really enjoying these Philips JAN 6922 tubes!  They are warm yet detailed and really pair well with the latest version of LCD-2s.  There was a little issue of sibilance when I started using them but it smoothed out very quickly (since my LCD-2s don't even have 100 hours on them yet, it could have been the headphones).  But overall, these are very musical tubes!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4,813 of 8,735
I am really enjoying these Philips JAN 6922 tubes!  They are warm yet detailed and really pair well with the latest version of LCD-2s.  There was a little issue of sibilance when I started using them but it smoothed out very quickly (since my LCD-2s don't even have 100 hours on them yet, it could have been the headphones).  But overall, these are very musical tubes!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

So odd ! Mine came in today and I plugged them in 15 minutes ago.
They are nice.
I've have a Ravi Shankar album that takes them for a workout:

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #4,815 of 8,735
Because I am odd......

(edit)

Im thinkin these tubes may very well overtake the Orange Globes as the best bang-for-the-buck tube.

Just say'n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back