The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #796 of 869
  the SR60i are the best bang for the buck.
they need to do is burn them in for over 100 hours
it bring out ample amounts of bass,yet bass that is very well detailed and very warm, and the highs really do sparkle once broken in.and I have never heard another headphone (under $350) match the SR60i for gorgeous forward mids granted they don't have much in the way of soundstage,but for $79 new you won't find anything else than even comes close.

Totally agree. I have my Grado SR60 with me since the year I joined headf.org and it continues to impress. In fact, I want to buy another one as "reserve." This can is so good. I am just using Fiio E9 as my amp. By the way I want to ask fellow SR60 owners, which is your perfect amp match for this nice can?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #797 of 869
Totally agree. I have my Grado SR60 with me since the year I joined headf.org and it continues to impress. In fact, I want to buy another one as "reserve." This can is so good. I am just using Fiio E9 as my amp. By the way I want to ask fellow SR60 owners, which is your perfect amp match for this nice can?

Honestly man, I think the 60 doesn't need one. IMO it improves the least (out of the prestige series) with amping. It's designed to be driven by portable devices which don't necessarily put out a lot of power.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #798 of 869
Going to agree with Joe Doe here,my SR60i's sound great unamped.

using my iBasso D2+ Boa I couldn't notice any difference whatsoever (which is not true of other headphones I use with that amp), i.e. my DT 770's and Aviators both benefit greatly from the addition of the D2+ Boa.

come to think of it,even my SR80i's didn't change enough to warrant the need for an amp. I consider that a plus as it keeps my portable rig more portable
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #799 of 869
I wanted to chime in and say how much I, too, enjoy listening to music through my Grado SR-60s and what a steal for less than $80!  Great sound through my little Aune T1 tube DAC/amp for rockin' out with stuff like Eagles, Beatles, Elvis, Buddy Holly, and all kinds of country.  Feels good to support Made in USA where we can in the electronics industry.  Thanks to all the previous posters for helping lead me to this purchase.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #800 of 869
  I wanted to chime in and say how much I, too, enjoy listening to music through my Grado SR-60s and what a steal for less than $80!  Great sound through my little Aune T1 tube DAC/amp for rockin' out with stuff like Eagles, Beatles, Elvis, Buddy Holly, and all kinds of country.  Feels good to support Made in USA where we can in the electronics industry.  Thanks to all the previous posters for helping lead me to this purchase.

You have a great cans for that kind of music......a steal for the $80 price tag.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #801 of 869
After a year of owning some Sennheiser 515s, I had enough of the moulding inside the ear cup rubbing on my outer ear, not sitting well with my glasses and I was none to happy when the head band broke (never handled them roughly). So into the hifi shop I go looking for the next pair. I sat in the shop for half an hour comparing the SR60s and 80s. Couldn't notice much difference and being cheaper, I went for the SR60s.

Five years later I'm still loving em! They sounded good when I had them attached to my old MD portables back in the day and now they're connected to my PC. Hopefully this year I'll get the best out of them with an O2+ODAC and maybe an X3 for portable use...
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, which track to play next...? Ah yes, Foo Fighters - Band On The Run (cover of the Beatles original).

Rock on SR60s!
L3000.gif
  (Maybe one day I'll see what the SR225s can do...)

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #802 of 869
Hello all.

Here a new grado fan with a SR60i buyed on amazon... my surprise was it didn't came on the regular box... anyone knows why? maybe new 2014 version?

Headphones sounds pretty good...

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #803 of 869
  Hello all.

Here a new grado fan with a SR60i buyed on amazon... my surprise was it didn't came on the regular box... anyone knows why? maybe new 2014 version?

Headphones sounds pretty good...

Wow that is interesting,you can send this picture to their email which is info@gradolabs.com and ask them,i received both of my Grados ( pair of SR60i back in 2009 and a pair of SR80i just a few months back) in the 'pizzabox' style packaging,but you could well be right about this being a 2014 version.best way to be certain though is by asking them directly through that e mail address (and they generally respond very quickly),please let us know what you find out.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #804 of 869
I wanted to chime in and say how much I, too, enjoy listening to music through my Grado SR-60s and what a steal for less than $80!

Couldn't agree more. I've been enjoying mine since 2001 and until very recently I've not felt a need to look elsewhere (and I'm only now doing so more out of a sense of curiosity than anything else). They're versatile and just fun to listen to.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #805 of 869
  Wow that is interesting,you can send this picture to their email which is info@gradolabs.com and ask them,i received both of my Grados ( pair of SR60i back in 2009 and a pair of SR80i just a few months back) in the 'pizzabox' style packaging,but you could well be right about this being a 2014 version.best way to be certain though is by asking them directly through that e mail address (and they generally respond very quickly),please let us know what you find out.

Thanks soo much I will email to them and see what they say to me...

Edit: Grado's people has answered me and they say that it's the new current box and 100% grado. At least I know I have one of the latest versions and from this year hehehe

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #806 of 869

Thanks soo much I will email to them and see what they say to me...

Edit: Grado's people has answered me and they say that it's the new current box and 100% grado. At least I know I have one of the latest versions and from this year hehehe

Good to hear that!

I always thought those giant 'pizza box' style boxes were a bit excessive anyway. and congratulations on your new pair of Grado SR60i's,I have had mine now for over four years and love them and use them all the time because they simply sound amazing for every style of music.plus they are durable (believe me over the years mine have take more than their fair share of knocks,bumps and drops and yet they always come out of it undamaged somehow) plus they are lightweight and very comfortable,can't really ask for more especially for $79
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #807 of 869
  Good to hear that!

I always thought those giant 'pizza box' style boxes were a bit excessive anyway. and congratulations on your new pair of Grado SR60i's,I have had mine now for over four years and love them and use them all the time because they simply sound amazing for every style of music.plus they are durable (believe me over the years mine have take more than their fair share of knocks,bumps and drops and yet they always come out of it undamaged somehow) plus they are lightweight and very comfortable,can't really ask for more especially for $79
smily_headphones1.gif

What's the difference between the older ones (which I have) and the 'i' version? Would there be much improvement or should I save my pennys and upgrade to the 225is at some later date? Don't get mt wrong, I'm still loving me SR-60s and can't wait to see how they get better when my O2+ODAC arrives.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #808 of 869

What's the difference between the older ones (which I have) and the 'i' version? Would there be much improvement or should I save my pennys and upgrade to the 225is at some later date? Don't get mt wrong, I'm still loving me SR-60s and can't wait to see how they get better when my O2+ODAC arrives.
biggrin.gif

According to Grado the 'i' stands for improved,and while you would expect a company to say that about their own product anytime a 'new and improved' version of a classic model is released to the general public, the vast majority of reviews from customers and professional reviews i have come across comparing the older Grado's to the i series absolutely agree that the i series are in fact a big improvement over the older models.

this particular article- http://www.headfonia.com/the-grado-sr60i-compared-to-the-sr60/2/  covers all the differences between the two comprehensively and sums it up as such -

GOOD: Overall, the SR60i is much better than the SR60. Fuller body, more present bass, more balanced sound. Smoother and less piercing highs while offering the same detail. Slightly improved soundstage.
NO GOOD: Compared to the SR60? Almost none. But its bass does seem to be slightly less controlled.

so in my estimation it would be well worth saving up for a pair of SR225i (or even for the SR60i and/or SR80i both fantastic!) and if you're diligent you may even be able to find a used pair of SR 225i's in good condition here on the for sale/trade forums for anywhere from $25 to $50 less the $200 retail price I have even seen them sell for $125 one time!).

I know there's a pair of SR-225i in my future down the line,and hopefully one day I'll be able to afford the PS500. though as my headphone collection has gone from two pairs to nine pairs in just the last six months I have to slow my roll for a while.

but hopefully not too long 
o2smile.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #809 of 869
Originally Posted by xylin6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so in my estimation it would be well worth saving up for a pair of SR225i (or even for the SR60i and/or SR80i both fantastic!) and if you're diligent you may even be able to find a used pair of SR 225i's in good condition here on the for sale/trade forums for anywhere from $25 to $50 less the $200 retail price I have even seen them sell for $125 one time!).

I know there's a pair of SR-225i in my future down the line,and hopefully one day I'll be able to afford the PS500. though as my headphone collection has gone from two pairs to nine pairs in just the last six months I have to slow my roll for a while.

but hopefully not too long 
o2smile.gif

Cheers for the link xylin6, it agrees with most of the stuff I've been reading. I suppose I'd only go for the SR-60i if my present SR-60s broke and I was a bit strapped for cash. Of course getting a good second hand deal on 225is is a good call, although I did spot a pair of Hifiman HE400s going for the price of some new 225is. So that may be worth a look if something similar comes up in the future.

But back on topic, I'm quite happy with my SR-60s and to me they aren't to shrilly in the treble, but that's probably because I'm a bit deaf above 15KHz. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back