Amps for Sennheiser HD-600
Jul 4, 2001 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Costas

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently purchased a set of Sennheiser HD-600s. I have been running these in the headphone jack of my Rotel RC-995 pre-amp. The sound is great.

I have been considering moving to a dedicated headphone amp. I have two questions:

1. How much of an improvement can I expect from running a dedicated headphone amp as opposed to my pre-amp headphone jack? My pre-amp comfortably drives the HD-600s and I have not had to turn the volume past 10 o'clock.

2. What is the best matched headphone amp for these headphones? I have been considering the MF XCans v2 and the Creek OBH11/SE. Which is the better amp for these cans?

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2001 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 6
A valve amp would better benefit the HD600 so consider the Xcans or an MG Head... As for sound change, I'd bet it would be noticable though I haven't personally experienced an HD600...

Jul 4, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Costas, check out this thread for a possible answer to your first question:
http://headphone2.superhost.com/foru...ghlight=carver

Then check this out for some help on the second question:
http://headphone2.superhost.com/foru...=&threadid=172

BTW, welcome to Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: The search function on this site works very well.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 6
First off, this thread should be in the Electronics forum.

That said, either would be a decent match, it just depends on your personal taste. There should be several comparisons in the Electronics forum, go check them out.

Update: Ah, now it's in the right forum, good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Darn it, joelongwood, you just beat me to it!
mad.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the advice guys. I will check out the postings and sample the amps with my HD600s.

Will keep you posted.

BTW, great to be on board on what is a great site!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back