Android Tidal with USB DAC issue
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ookamikun

New Head-Fier
Hi community,

I just noticed this while testing some DACs. When I connect the DAC (any DAC) with USB to my android phone, Tidal asks for permission and I get sound. When the track changes and the next track has a different quality, e.g. track 1 is max and track 2 is high quality, I suddenly lose sound but the track keeps playing.
Depending on the DAC I need to reconnect it, restart the DAC or switch from USB to something else and back.

Is that behavior known? Any way to mitigate this?
This makes a USB DAC with Tidal quite unusable.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Depending on the DAC I need to reconnect it, restart the DAC or switch from USB to something else and back.

Is that behavior known? Any way to mitigate this?
This makes a USB DAC with Tidal quite unusable.

Which dacs exhibit this and which don't?

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Confirmed for me, too. LG V60, Android 13, iFi Go Bar

If I give Tidal exclusive access to the Go Bar, MQA and FLAC do not 'always' play unless I disconnect and reconnect USB. However, if I skip forward some songs, I'll occasionally come across an MQA or FLAC file that will play on Max. This also causes some High encodes to not play.

If I do not give Tidal exclusive access, everything plays. Doesn't sound great though.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks a lot for confirming! Wow okay, I was hoping that maybe it was because of my weird Android version (CalyxOS).
I didn't know that it would work without giving Tidal exclusive access.

Maybe it works without problems using UAPP?

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Had the chance to test it with UAPP Trial and it was no problem to listen to different audio quality songs.
However, I couldn't use the Pro version because of CalyxOS which is de-googled...

I got the Gryphon in the end which is great. The Mojo2 and Shanling H7 were also very good.

When I tested it, I thought the bug went away because I tested it with Low quality song --> MQA song, which worked and played both songs correctly.
However, after coming home I noticed that low quality song --> MQA song --> low quality song didn't work 🤦
Man, that is so freaking frustrating...

I will use the Gryphon on my desktop for now which worked perfectly from the start and hope that UAPP works on my next phone where I will install GrapheneOS...

Should have gone with a DAP, damn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back