Any Experience of Naim headline?
Aug 1, 2001 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eeyssjr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in this amp, and wondered if anyone has experience of it, or has any info about it.

Seems like a class product, i'm suprised more people dont see it as an option. It's no more to buy (incl psu) than a earmax pro.

Aug 1, 2001 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 7
I have directly compared both, maybe two years ago: Earmax Pro and Naim Headline with Naim PSU. I prefer the Earmax.

Naim has a reputation as being very concerned with dynamic impact. This PRAT thing: pace, rhythm and timing, I guess. And in this regard, the Headline does very well. But the Earmax has an ease and naturalness to it, that is probably only achieved with tube amplification. It is simply more musical, fuller, warmer, with more ambient and low level information. Bass might be the only area where it is getting close between the two: The Naim has great control there, but the Earmax, that is certainly no slouch in the bass either, has more timbre and elasticity, which is especially noticeable with bass violin.

The Earmax Pro is musically more satisfying, without this fatiguing solid state glare. To my ears, the Earmax Pro is simply captivating. I own one.

And somehow I remember the Naim Headline being more expensive. Isn't it?

Aug 2, 2001 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 7
Thats's a great comparison. thanks alot.

In the UK, the earmax pro is £425, and the headline is £225 + the cheapest PSU naim do, which is an additional £195 which adds to £420. So in the UK at least, they are in the same price bracket. Alot of people don't know naim do a cheaper PSu that is suitable for the headline, and thus assume you need the £700+ unit, which obviously change the situation.

Aug 2, 2001 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 7
I didnt know the earmax pro was available in england
mad.gif

With the Naim thing I think it has a lot to do with their use of Din plugs where as 99.5% of other companys use phono plugs. I mean lets face it after shelling out £420 (example) on the equipment your hardly likely to go out and spend x amount on the cable you need to hook the thing up to your (assuming its not naim here!) amp are you...

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Oh yes, the earmax pro is definitely available in the UK.

I have been in contsct with the audiophile club today, and they have it ready for demo if required.

I may well get it soon and dem it with my CD1700. Let ya know what it does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back