AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #406 of 419
Hi!
Still nothing about release date and price?

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #407 of 419
I believe it’s actually the opposite… planar drivers don’t have as much excursion, so they have to be relatively larger than dynamic driver types in order to create equivalent air displacement. If you had a dynamic and planar driver of equal size and same enclosure, it’s the planar that would sound thin and airy. Weight is also a significant factor. But the enclosure has it’s own effect!

As long as you are aware that there is a fabric cover in front of the dynamic driver in that picture! But yes, the grell headphone does have a dynamic driver. It’s made of a biocellulose material, similar to what has been seen in Sony and Fostex headphones in the past.

Maybe.

I don't know how reliable Rtings is, but it aligns with my experience:

Planar magnetic drivers typically have a better bass response with more extension to the low-end frequencies. This means they have less roll-off than high-end open, dynamic headphones of the same caliber.

Typical planar magnetic drivers have slightly better soundstage.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/dynamic-vs-planar-magnetic

Headphones.com also seem to argue for better extension both in treble and bass.

Generally this is imparted by the stiffness and rigidity at the diaphragm's center - especially for treble frequencies - remember that dynamic driver diaphragms are not uniform the way planar magnetic diaphragms are.

So in summary, headphones with planar magnetic transducers often sound tighter, more controlled, and have better extension capabilities with less distortion for bass than dynamic drivers.

https://headphones.com/blogs/announ...-vs-dynamic-driver-headphones-which-is-better

The issue with planars is the obvious metallic timbre. It doesn't matter for most music, but it is jarring for some acoustic music.

The Hermit by Richard Dawson is a great track to test the obvious differences.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #408 of 419
I’m really interested in the new Grells but it seems to me they are going to be more than $300, so we’ll see …

I do hope the build quality is excellent.
Haven't been around much lately but dropping in to see where the OAE1 is currently at I find this comment sobering, thank you!
Was having the piano tune the other day, it's an upright Yamaha hand assembled in Japan and looking at used prices, which hover around $3k-$5k, I now find it impossible to accept today's escalating prices on headphones considering the amount of work that goes into most musical instruments... Does not compute. lol
IMG_9595.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #409 of 419
Haven't been around much lately but dropping in to see where the OAE1 is currently at I find this comment sobering, thank you!
Was having the piano tune the other day, it's an upright Yamaha hand assembled in Japan and looking at used prices, which hover around $3k-$5k, I now find it impossible to accept today's escalating prices on headphones considering the amount of work that goes into most musical instruments... Does not compute. lol
IMG_9595.jpeg

Without making a comment on the pricing of headphones, I would say that used pricing on pianos is a hard thing to use as a metric as it is extremely hard to sell used pianos due to their sheer size. I used to work above a company that refinished pianos and they often got pianos for free if they would agree to haul them away.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #410 of 419

Yeah it's not a good comparison. You have a hard time giving them away in some places. There was literally a newspaper article in the last couple weeks in the Minneapolis area about how depreciated their value is.

Edit: I might be willing to pay 2K to get the downstairs neighbor (teenager) from playing the same damn ballad over and over again. Sometimes they play (mostly) it for literally hours on a loop.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #411 of 419
Yeah it's not a good comparison.
I was thinking more in terms of sheer physicality and labour involved.
You have a hard time giving them away in some places\
Yep...pianos in terms of popularity, where they were once the cherished center of home entertainment a century a ago (replaced by the record player) are now a thing of the past, a curiosity, at the end of life and of little monetary value if any. We all still love piano music and will go to great lengths to find the headphone that will properly reproduce the recording of such, how times change. lol
Hopefully we'll find out sooner than later how the OAE-1 fairs. :)

May 1, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #412 of 419

Yep...pianos in terms of popularity, where they were once the cherished center of home entertainment a century a ago (replaced by the record player) are now a thing of the past, a curiosity, at the end of life and of little monetary value if any. We all still love piano music and will go to great lengths to find the headphone that will properly reproduce the recording of such, how times change. lol
As of this very moment, it appears that we’ll find out later rather than sooner how the OAE-1 fairs. Not that I’m impatient 😁

IMG_5251.gif

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #415 of 419

Yeah, there's a lot that goes into building pianos. I once remove the soundboard from a 100k+ Steinway concert grand. I thought the process would be intricate, but it was done with a mallet and a 2x4. There was significantly more care involved when installing the replacement. :)

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #416 of 419
Yeah, there's a lot that goes into building pianos. I once remove the soundboard from a 100k+ Steinway concert grand. I thought the process would be intricate, but it was done with a mallet and a 2x4. There was significantly more care involved when installing the replacement. :)

I can imagine the Douglas Adams quote in your footer might apply to such a process, haha

May 1, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #417 of 419
I can imagine the Douglas Adams quote in your footer might apply to such a process, haha

Indeed. The good news is that I knew where my towel was.

May 4, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #419 of 419
There are fundamental differences between what is involved in making a piano and a high-end headphone. The piano industry has been around for countless decades, and the manufacturers have established methods and systems for creating their products. There is more sheer labor and established skill involved.

With the latest headphones, unless you are going to use OEM parts, you're designing the acoustics completely from scratch, then purchasing very expensive equipment for manufacture, for which you have to set up processes and train people, after years of R&D, during which you aren't making any money from the product. So, while a pair of headphones may not be as visibly complex as a piano is, they do involve a lot more than is apparent to the eye, if they are to be successful.

Looking from the other direction, a person without experience in piano design and manufacture isn't going to be able to start from scratch and have a product in a couple of years, least not one that is anything resembling affordable. Establishing such a business would be astronomically hard, let alone entering such an established market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back