Bent plug on dt 770
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rvrg

New Head-Fier
Today I dropped my phone and the jack went bent. However, the headphones still work basically just as before. So, should I do something about it? Or it is ok to stay like that?
If I should not leave it like that, which option is better, buying a new jack or a whole new cable?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Now I can't post a picture since this is my very first post.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 11
So the jack inside your smartphone is bent?
Or is the plug on your DT770 bent?

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 11
If it's the DT770 plug, beyerdynamic sell allmost(all?) parts, and for reasonable prices.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 11
On the DT770 I believe you will need to solder...

See here

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 11
So yes, the plug on the headphones is bent, but they still work rather fine. How much does it cost to replace the cable? Or it is possible to do it fully on your own?
There are several 3.5mm aftermarket plugs that you could use to replace the DT770's plug.
You would have to cut off the current plug and solder the new plug to the cable wires.

Aug 18, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 11
I have already seen that soldering is probably needed, but I am not sure that I have a soldering kit, so how much does it approximately cost to have a cable replaced by professionals? Also, I still have a warranty, so are such things covered by it?

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 11
I have already seen that soldering is probably needed, but I am not sure that I have a soldering kit, so how much does it approximately cost to have a cable replaced by professionals? Also, I still have a warranty, so are such things covered by it?
The damage was not caused by a manufacturing defect or a worn out part, but damaged by your actions, so doubt damage is covered by warranty.
Soldering Irons start at $10 (+shipping), Soldering Stations start at $30.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 11
The damage was not caused by a manufacturing defect or a worn out part, but damaged by your actions, so doubt damage is covered by warranty.
Soldering Irons start at $10 (+shipping), Soldering Stations start at $30.
Thank you for the information! Then, I will probably pay the soldering. Also, a bit off the topic question, so even before the accident there were some noises while the headphones were being connected to the phone (it is normal, right?) as well as while the plug was being rotated a bit (sometimes, not always, but I guess that it is a sign that something is wrong). I have been using headphones on the phone a lot, 5-6h a day on average probably, maybe even more, since I bought the phone, 2 years ago, and I bought the dt770 just this year, so is it more likely that the problem is due the phone? Is it normal for a phone jack to stop working normally after such amount of usage? How long do they usually last?

Edit: I've tried using new earphones, that work quite well on a laptop, on the phone and they haven't been working well, there has been so much hissing sound. So, is it possible that the bent plug has ruined the phone jack since I've used the headphones a few times after the accident? Or the phone jack must have been faulty from before? And if that is the case, then how could the dt770 work before the accident?Btw, that has been the first time I used any other earphones/headphones on the phone since I bought the dt770. And in general, can a bent plug ruin a jack?
The picture:

Attachments

• IMG_20200818_104414.jpg
    IMG_20200818_104414.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 11
I have the same problem, but I ran into a challenge while trying to solder the new headphone jack. There is some "fibrous" reinforcement material in both the main cable (which is easy to snip away) but it is also in the red and white wires. How do I remove this material?

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 11
I have the same problem, but I ran into a challenge while trying to solder the new headphone jack. There is some "fibrous" reinforcement material in both the main cable (which is easy to snip away) but it is also in the red and white wires. How do I remove this material?
Update: I carefully separated the copper wires from the reinforcement material, then used a pair of side cutters to cut away the reinforcement. Headphones working now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back