Best headphone amp you have ever heard, and why.
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 21
The Topping A70Pro by far. It's transparent, but the dynamics like distinctive drum hits and soundstage is realistic. I've had dozens of amplifiers and currently have five high end ones. Only the SP400 with M400 I have is this engaging. Several headphones now sound so much better I'm keeping them unread of selling them. The DL200 is a 5 volt DAC that sounds flawless for $200 and the A70Pro fits exactly on top of it. Also it doesn't get hit or even warm, despite having virtually unlimited power on the balanced side.
I'm curious because you said the a70 pro was the best you've heard but then you say you have 5 high end amps. What do you consider as high end amps? Have you listened to amps on the other end of the spectrum like the formula S or feliks envy?

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #19 of 21
Don't forget amir at asr says topping is the best thing ever.
A person that listens at 114 db is not someone whose tastes should be taken as gospel.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 21
I must say, the Zahl hm1 is the best among all I've ever heard. They used to have a demo unit at Spiritland in London, and they used it to drive the Mysphere3.2, the sound of this combination was simply magical. However, the price of the hm1 completely deterred me from considering a purchase....
Apart from hm1, my favorite remains the GSX mk2. It has an incredibly transparent sound and good output level that pairs exceptionally well with those planar headphones. Plus, I really appreciate its design – i think that's a refreshing departure from some of the bulky industrial-looking amplifiers out there.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 21
I have not seen that story, do link if you find it.

Anyway, all those chinese brands from Shenzhen generally seems to perform rather good, not only on audiosciencereview but most other sites as well. In particular featuring very high power output/$.*****

However, even if I own one of the suspects in the form of a SMSL and one of the lower end models I wouldn't exactly trust the longterm reliability of any of these. I will be happy for the time I get, mine has been running since the second half of 2022 will be interesting to see how long it lasts.
***** usually into loads such as 30 ohms. At 300 ohms, mW provided drop off substantially. Besides, for higher impedance headphones (Senn, ZMF) delivery of voltage is more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back