Bifrost 2/64 keeps failing
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
My Bifrost 2/64, purchased new about 2 years ago, keeps failing. It will remain on but stop producing sound. I thought I had fixed it by reseating the card, but it's still happening. First when I was unplugging an XLR cable, which I guess caused the card to shift and lose connection. Then it shut down for no reason after it had been left on for a couple days. I just reseated the card again and made sure to tighten the screws sufficiently. It's working now, but for how long? I usually have to turn it off and on to get it working again, although there have been times when I've had to do this 5 or 10 times. I want to send it in to Schiit but would miss it so much. If it keeps happening, I might.

Maybe I can clean the contacts where the card plugs in with compressed air or something?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 10
I think you should contact Schiit for your issue. Shouldn't take that much to call their support on it. Also, doesn't Schiit products have warranties of more than a year on most their amps?
They are responsive but because I'm actively using the DAC and can always get it working with some fiddling, I'm reluctant to have to send it in for repairs just yet. Maybe if it stopped working completely. Lately it tends to stay on once it's working since the first time I reseated the card, so I'm guessing it's related to the card not seating properly and losing connection. It makes sense movement could cause that, but this last time I didn't touch it. So I may just leave it on for a few days more and see if it happens again.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Simply call and ask questions. You don't have to send it in. In most cases they may be able to solve the issue over the phone as they aren't necessarily looking for you to send it in, and especially if they can fix over the phone :thumbsup:

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Simply call and ask questions. You don't have to send it in. In most cases they may be able to solve the issue over the phone as they aren't necessarily looking for you to send it in, and especially if they can fix over the phone :thumbsup:
I did email and started the troubleshooting process with them, but after I reseated the card I thought I might have fixed it, so I stopped responding. I will reach out again if this keeps happening.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 10
All I'm saying is look at all your options.

Whenever I have an issue with something the first thing, I do is call the company and get a tech person and start asking questions. After that, I have a better idea of what's happening and what I may have to do.

Asking questions here also helps, but, where necessary I'll also reach out to tech support.

Outside of that, that's all I have as I don't own any Schiit items.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 10
All I'm saying is look at all your options.

Whenever I have an issue with something the first thing, I do is call the company and get a tech person and start asking questions. After that, I have a better idea of what's happening and what I may have to do.

Asking questions here also helps, but, where necessary I'll also reach out to tech support.

Outside of that, that's all I have as I don't own any Schiit items.

I just wrote them again, explaining everything! Also, I tried switching to a powered USB hub. Maybe that will help?

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Well good luck. Hopefully, you find the issue.

BTW, when the issue happens is the amp unusually hot. Usually when an amp shuts down like that, there's an overheating heating issue, where the amp will shut down to prevent (further) damage. Perhaps a circuit gone bad is causing an abnormal heating event and shutting down the amp.

If that's the case, you may actually need to send it in for repair. Note what the amp is doing (including any weird sounds) if the issue continues.

As the saying goes it could be nothing, but it could be something. Just be aware.

Good luck.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 10
After moving the unit and putting it on a powered USB hub as the site suggests, and after reseating the card, I've been leaving it on all the time and it's been working perfectly. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays this way. I didn't hear back from Schiit yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back