Budget preamp
Aug 1, 2001 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sackley

Audiophile can you spare a dime?
OK, I am working on my priority list of stuff to buy. Currently it is:

1. Headphone amp
2. CD player
3. Preamp

I already know what I am doing for the first two, but I want your input on a preamp. I want to get one in the $300 price range and prefer that it be tubed, but it isn't a must. Thanks in advance.

Aug 1, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd suggest that you simply get a headphone amp that is known to work well as a pre-amp. One suggestion is the Sugden Headmaster which is solid state, but is considered an excellent pre-amp. It does cost about $700 and you'll have to search around to get that price, but it'll eliminate the need to get a separate headphone amp and pre-amp.

I have not yet tried using my Wheatfield HA-1 ($529 from Headroom) as a pre-amp, but it is tubed and works well as a headphone amp.

Aug 2, 2001 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 6
That Wheatfield HA-1 that DanG has is a darn fine tube amp, but I didn't like it because it made my RS-2s sound over warm and I felt it lacked extention in both the treble and bass compared to my Rega (Solid-State), though it did take a lot of the dryness (for lack of a better word) out of his MSPs I thought were too analytical on my Rega. But the volume pot. on my Rega doesn't change the gain in it's output, so it's probably no good as a preamp.

Aug 2, 2001 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Wheatfield Audio only sells through Headroom, so you can only get one for $529 if you buy new. They're rarely on the used market -- I only saw it once here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back