Can anyone help me rebuild a crossover? Mystery parts and some unknown variables.
May 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a couple of pairs of Yamaha outdoor speakers. They sound blown. I think they let the bare speaker wire touch each other and now I just get distorted sound from the tweeter. I opened them up and found a capacitor (2.2uf 100v) and an unlabeled inductor. I think I can rebuild this crossover but I cant figure out the specs for the inductor. 

If I know some of the driver or speakers specs can someone help me figure out the inductor value?

The capacitor is listed above

The speaker has 2 drivers connected by a cheap 2 piece crossover
The drivers are a 1/2' PEI dome tweeter (marked NSAW150)
and a 5" full range driver (NSAW190)
2 way acoustic suspension speaker

2.2uf 100v cap
mystery inductor

85db sensitivity into 6ohms

If the crossover is irreperable can we figure out the driver specs so I can use them for another project?

Thanks in advance everyone!

May 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 5
  I got a couple of pairs of Yamaha outdoor speakers. They sound blown. I think they let the bare speaker wire touch each other and now I just get distorted sound from the tweeter. I opened them up and found a capacitor (2.2uf 100v) and an unlabeled inductor. I think I can rebuild this crossover but I cant figure out the specs for the inductor. 

If I know some of the driver or speakers specs can someone help me figure out the inductor value?

The capacitor is listed above

The speaker has 2 drivers connected by a cheap 2 piece crossover
The drivers are a 1/2' PEI dome tweeter (marked NSAW150)
and a 5" full range driver (NSAW190)
2 way acoustic suspension speaker

2.2uf 100v cap
mystery inductor

85db sensitivity into 6ohms

If the crossover is irreperable can we figure out the driver specs so I can use them for another project?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Crossovers sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rarely fail. 

Speaker drivers almost always fail. Like if you look at them sideways and fart. Poof, there they go. If you are supremely unlucky the speaker surrounds can become UV damaged and then you dont even need to play them for them to fail. 

If you short out your power amp it may also fail. 

That being said, I would make sure the speaker drivers and amplifier are functional before you do any work on the crossovers or anything else. Use VERY VERY VERY low power and test tones at appropriate frequencies for each driver - dont put bass into a tweeter.

In the event that the speaker drivers and amp are OK (miraculous) I would start your journey into rebuilding the crossover by checking the caps. Or just replacing them. 

When you see people going fappity fap fap fap over rebuilt crossovers or aftermarket crossovers they are doing so because the new crossovers change something (better parts or outright different design), or replace caps that are no longer within design specs. 

May 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 5
The amp is fine its just a crappy wiring setup. 2 wires keep touching because its just jerry rigged. The cap doesnt seem damaged but ill switch it anyway.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 5
Hello.

I am in the project of replacing the baby advent speaker crossovers.

It happens that a speaker sounds with less depth and presence of low frequencies. It is very noticeable when doing L-R channel balancing. I ruled out that it is a problem of the amplifier and also of the woofers, which have been recently replaced. Wofers work fine, only when I put the woofers in one of the two speaker box it sounds bad. Isolating the problem I have come to the conclusion that it is the crossover. Any suggestions?

And I wonder... how do I choose the specifications of the capacitors and inductors in terms of micro-farads and millie-henries? What parameters should I take as reference?

Blessings for your audio system.

Attachments

• IMG-20240216-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240216-WA0006.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 5
The amp is fine its just a crappy wiring setup. 2 wires keep touching because its just jerry rigged. The cap doesnt seem damaged but ill switch it anyway.
Can't do anything but guess w/o a tester re: crossovers. Inductors rarely fail, I have speakers of 45, 39, 22 years of age and none of the inductors have ever failed, or failed in any of my other speakers over the years. Do your outdoor speakers get a lot of sub freezing temps? That's going to age them much quicker - even if designed for it.

The wiring issue is the obvious place, the next closest is the drivers as the other poster mentioned. hook the mids up to your power source, and play some music with mids and bass (1 at a time) start low volume and go higher. tweets next - no bass - mids and treble, low volume to med volume - 1 at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back