Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #6,241 of 6,247
Damn! These black plate rectifiers are freaking fantastic. They have made my amp dead silent, and notes just pop out of pitch blackness. These are very well made rectifiers and you can hear it. Wow!
Not an uncommon phenomenon with tubes. They will burn in and often once settled, change characteristics. I have noted this for many, many, many years. Thinking I had found the holy grail of settings for the tube, the right tubes etc., and then small changes set in. Still great sound but the magic declines. I am not trying to be negative but I am realistic on expectations from many years of experience using tubes in all types of setups. One rectifier, that could maintain the quality is the metal based GZ34. I have one with 1000s of hours of use and it still tests as new and superb in what it does with rectification. I wish the MKII used GZ34 tubes, two of them but not to be and the 22DE4 is a good tube. One, even better than the GZ34 is the 6X4 but it is a small rectifier and not used very much.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #6,242 of 6,247
Not an uncommon phenomenon with tubes. They will burn in and often once settled, change characteristics. I have noted this for many, many, many years. Thinking I had found the holy grail of settings for the tube, the right tubes etc., and then small changes set in. Still great sound but the magic declines. I am not trying to be negative but I am realistic on expectations from many years of experience using tubes in all types of setups. One rectifier, that could maintain the quality is the metal based GZ34. I have one with 1000s of hours of use and it still tests as new and superb in what it does with rectification. I wish the MKII used GZ34 tubes, two of them but not to be and the 22DE4 is a good tube. One, even better than the GZ34 is the 6X4 but it is a small rectifier and not used very much.
100% I have only a few years with tubes undery belt but I was surprised many times already.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #6,243 of 6,247
These Black Plate Rectifiers are well burned in, and I have been using them on and off for the past year or so. Also, I have 3 quads of backups, so I am good to go for a long long time. :grin:

This is the first time however, listening with a full quad of them, and fully burned in WE300B's and the 6S5S, and that's where my newly formed enthusiasm for them is coming from. The synergy is incredible.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #6,244 of 6,247
These Black Plate Rectifiers are well burned in, and I have been using them on and off for the past year or so. Also, I have 3 quads of backups, so I am good to go for a long long time. :grin:

This is the first time however, listening with a full quad of them, and fully burned in WE300B's and the 6S5S, and that's where my newly formed enthusiasm for them is coming from. The synergy is incredible.
Yes, the signal rides on the DC and is all important, which wasn't the case in the past as the power supply was an afterthought or one used that was a do all power supply.

Also the AC in general. Today, here it is very good. Yesterday, not. I have a large balanced toroid used to clean up the AC but even with that, if other things are going on the line, it helps but good AC, like a good/great power supply, is the basis.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #6,245 of 6,247
Utopia and Elrog ER have a very special synergy going in my system. It's not pushing Utopia detail wise in any way, it can get a lot more technical, reference and all that, but it just sounds awesome to my ears ... "pleasant and powerful".

I want to turn this combo up every time and I need to keep stoping myself not to damage my hearing 😅

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #6,246 of 6,247
Utopia and Elrog ER have a very special synergy going in my system. It's not pushing Utopia detail wise in any way, it can get a lot more technical, reference and all that, but it just sounds awesome to my ears ... "pleasant and powerful".

I want to turn this combo up every time and I need to keep stoping myself not to damage my hearing 😅
THhs is me exactly what i feel but with susvara and CV6 ... the volume is ALWAYS northwards.... the realness of presentation is fabulous. Last night was Elrog MO + Mullard CV6 Red prints and 22de4 black plates. Volume was nearly always 1:00-2:00 o'clock on the dial, gain on medium, with Qobuz at close to max. Every minute was like hearing something new in everything, Familiar songs represented with a polish and shine! I still feel CV6 is pushing dynamics beyonds most others i have tried. CV6 ability to push sounds around the soundstage in a truly believable manner, sounds popping from nothing, Zero noise floor. I think if i only have Mullard CV6, and all other driver tube options were removed, i dont think id miss a thing. And yet im still chasing 6s5s, 6c5g, 6j5. Also a few other CV6 like E1148 and the chinese variant.

Does anyone have a rare brown base GEC Kb/a cv1135 (cv6) variant? Happy to buy one or two to complete a set.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #6,247 of 6,247

Users who are viewing this thread

Back