Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 2, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #646 of 657
I downloaded the firmware and put on TF card started the process I'm stuck on a screen rear says ironically commencing the ultimate experience been that way for 45 mins @Andykong help!

Edit: Crisis averted with a reboot just a glitch. Everything working as should do even picked up all my album and artist photo covers

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #647 of 657
Got mine yesterday and finished with some room left on the 1T card. Listening now to Jack Johnson set in Modern Tube mode. This is a sweet little DAP. I shall not use any other for the rest of June.
I hate any other upgrade but OTA. Next week I shall try upgrading the firmware. This will not be the first time AndyKong has helped me with an upgrade.

May 3, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #650 of 657
@Andykong A slightly more frivolous request for a future firmware update. The ability to customise the colour of the home screen like you can in the Hiby RS2 which is a I believe the same basic music app on the N3Ultra the grey colour scheme is so dull in comparison to the rest of the design on the N3Ultra a Green or blue option would be lovely to match the leather cases

May 3, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #651 of 657
Managed to try the N3 Ultra.

It's definitely a lot better than the N3 Pro. Balanced is actually usable now and a big step up from single ended on the N3 Ultra.

User interface is also so much better than the one on the N3 Pro.

May 3, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #652 of 657
You want more Warm tubey sound with the N3U just send the LO out. I tried tonight using My S24 Ultra as transport using Todal out to the N3U as DAC and out LO 4.4 to the XDUOO XD05 Pro as amp.

Every few songs it stops seeing the Signal from my phone quite frustrating but the sound when working is wonderfully smooth.

One strange thing I noticed it sounds like the Signal out is noticeable distorted when the units are sitting on top of each other making it less usable. Even with a shielded USB OTG cable . The N3U must be picking something up from the XDO5.
20240503_201108.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #653 of 657
You want more Warm tubey sound with the N3U just send the LO out. I tried tonight using My S24 Ultra as transport using Todal out to the N3U as DAC and out LO 4.4 to the XDUOO XD05 Pro as amp.

Every few songs it stops seeing the Signal from my phone quite frustrating but the sound when working is wonderfully smooth.

One strange thing I noticed it sounds like the Signal out is noticeable distorted when the units are sitting on top of each other making it less usable. Even with a shielded USB OTG cable . The N3U must be picking something up from the XDO5.20240503_201108.jpg
Have you tried and see if there is any significant difference in sound quality between the 3.5 LO and the 4.4 LO into the XD05Pro? Or is there any difference at all between the 2 LO option? Looking forward for you insight. Cheers. :)

May 4, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #654 of 657
The N3U must be picking something up from the XDO5.
For sure. I've put it one evening on my closed ipad. I the beginning I haven't noticed anything, the music was too loud, but when the first song ended, I got a shock; it sounded like loading a game on the old ZX spectrum* (yes, I am actuallyv that old). I thought, that's it, I broke my new DAP. Heart rate back to normal once I've picked it up 😄

* for those too young, this is what I'm talking about.

May 5, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #656 of 657
For those interested, I just finished and posted my very detailed review of N3Ultra DAP. It is long, but everything is partitioned into multiple pages and sections, thus easy to follow :) Enjoy the read!

cayin-n3ultra-11.jpg

May 5, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #657 of 657
A little bit off topic. It’s been a while since I used my N3 Pro - safe to say all of 2024 and probably a good part of 2023 as well so I reasonably thought it might need resuscitating but when I was giving it a wipe, I accidentally pressed the power button and it seriously impressed me by springing back to life just like that with over 50% charge still in the battery. Ready to go.

IMG_5287.jpeg

Now I’m listening to it, taking note of all your comparisons and looking forward to being able to pick up the Ultra as well someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back