Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 4, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #2,146 of 2,150
You have started your reply in extremely rude manner though I can see that your thread has been edited now.

The world of metrology my biggest hobby. I may not spend decades on this, but I know what I am talking about.
As you correctly pointed out 0.01% tempco refers to an individual resistor, but…

Referring to matching pair, there are several manufacturers like Vishay, doing voltage dividers i.e. a matching pair of resistors with a very tight tempco. There is a guy called Edwin Pettis in the USA who manufactures precision resistors and others.
It is possible to test tempco of an individual resistor or a pair at home in a small self-built oven connected to a PC or a Raspberry Pi running a Python script.

Actually as we speak I have on my desk several matching pairs of resistors with 1ppm or 0.0001% (this is not individual tempco but a matching resistors ratio tempco). These were custom made for me at a lab.

I agree with you building at home anything 12 bit or even 16 bit is very hard. And anything with more than 20 bit is literally impossible.

The point of this discussion is that 0.01% or better tempco matching resistor pairs are available at home. Of course they are expensive and custom made and have to be ordered with a long lead time. I shall rest my case now as a half-informed forum expert lol )

The point was stated clearly: you cannot assemble a r2r ladder at home that operates transparently - at least 0.01% in actual operations needed for 16bit audio. As I said it is not the same as buying online a resistor. Test measurements of a device you did build at home are the only thing that can prove me wrong.

No intend being rude with you, prefer friendship. You were blunt to call me out wrong, you received a reply in the same manner. Peace brother, live is good!

May 5, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #2,147 of 2,150
May I suggest moving the R2R discussion away from RU7 thread? RU7 is not a R2R DAC and we have our share of confusion in the past, certainly not a good ideas to include more R2R discussion or debate in the thread, and attracting more users looking for R2R product to RU7 through searching function.

Maybe continue the discussion in RU6 thread is viable?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 5, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #2,148 of 2,150
May I suggest moving the R2R discussion away from RU7 thread? RU7 is not a R2R DAC and we have our share of confusion in the past, certainly not a good ideas to include more R2R discussion or debate in the thread, and attracting more users looking for R2R product to RU7 through searching function.

Maybe continue the discussion in RU6 thread is viable?
I believe all the exchange above should be deleted if possible - it doesn't add any value here.

In my 1st message I provided technical details why the RU7 isn't R2R. To avoid potential confusion caused by Srboljub's video review. That might be the only message worth leaving.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #2,149 of 2,150
Hi !
Is going balanced TRRS to TRS portable tube amp going to give any benefit vs just single-end TRS to TRS to a portable tube amp ?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #2,150 of 2,150
Hi !
Is going balanced TRRS to TRS portable tube amp going to give any benefit vs just single-end TRS to TRS to a portable tube amp ?
Probably not. The converter just throws away the negative signal on each side, which then makes it like any other single-ended signal.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back