Celestion A3 tweeter and bass cone dead
Feb 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dreamspy

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I've recently acquired a used pair of Celestion A3 speakers. But the problem is that one of the tweeters is completely gone, the other one is a bit dent but still works, and one of the 8" cones has burned out.  The previous owner didn't really treat them with the care these speakers need :)

I am wondering if you know where to get spare parts for these speakers? I was told that Celestion has stopped making spare parts for this model, and I've heard about people using tweeters from different models, by removing them from their housings and fitting them in the A3 tweeter housing. Anyone have any experience with this or know what models would work?

Kind Regards
Frímann

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Parts Express is a popular place to find speaker parts.

However, simply switching out a driver or tweeter for the same size driver or tweeter will often not work well. Think carefully before putting a lot of money into speaker repair this way. A speaker's enclosure and crossover are optimized for the specific components. If you repair one speaker with non-original parts, it will likely not sound the same as the other speaker. So, for example, it might be best to replace the tweeter in both so they match, but the speakers may not sound right.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi,
Try Andy Gough at Kef - now own Celestion and no doubt Kef are owned by someone else. Andy is the Service Manager and the tel no is 01622 672261 or his email is andy.gough@kef.com
I emailed him last year looking for replacement tweeter for the A2's. They have to make them up and cost, at that time,£89.73 + vat and carriage. Didn't ask for a driver price as didn't need one. However a tweeter and a driver have now gone due to my son partying while I was away. I hope this helps as replacements on Ebay etc don't seem to come up anymore. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6
Dreamspy,
Forgot to add that a dent in the titanium dome of the tweeter won't make a difference sonically but aesthetically is displeasing. When I bought my A2's they had severe dents but as I had a perfect pair in a set of A1's I just swapped them over. With the original pair in the A2's I took them out and undid the screws holding them together. The titanium dome comes free easily. With a cotton bud gently rub the inside of the dome and the creases will almost disappear. Titanium is thin but quite robust so don't be too afraid. The ones I had were severely creased and one had a tiny hole in it. I filled it with a bit of silicone filler and they work perfectly. If yours is just dented it will be a simple 5 minute job. Just remember to put them back the same way you took them out.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 6
  Dreamspy,
Forgot to add that a dent in the titanium dome of the tweeter won't make a difference sonically but aesthetically is displeasing. When I bought my A2's they had severe dents but as I had a perfect pair in a set of A1's I just swapped them over. With the original pair in the A2's I took them out and undid the screws holding them together. The titanium dome comes free easily. With a cotton bud gently rub the inside of the dome and the creases will almost disappear. Titanium is thin but quite robust so don't be too afraid. The ones I had were severely creased and one had a tiny hole in it. I filled it with a bit of silicone filler and they work perfectly. If yours is just dented it will be a simple 5 minute job. Just remember to put them back the same way you took them out.

Great thanks for that info! I'll be in contact with Andy.  One of my tweeters is completely gone. I measured the resistance and it's infinite. No sound coming from that . The other one measures at 4ohm as expected, and sounds ok, but the titanium dome is broken, so i don't expect it to sound as it's supposed to....

Thanks allot for your answer.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 6
The tweeter diaphragm can be replaced with one from other Celestion speakers and I have a few left for sale if your interested.

As for titanium diaphragms in celestion speakers, they are very rare and most came with aluminum and not titanium. To tell the difference, the titanium have a darker tint to them ( lite brownish ) and the aluminum looks like the dull side of aluminum foil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back