cheap preamp
Jul 26, 2001 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

You_know_who

New Head-Fier
Here's the situation. I need to hook up headphones to my TV. There are lots of line audio outputs but no headphone output. I want to do this on the cheap.
Recommendation will be appreciated.

Jul 26, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 9
If you only want to hook up headphones you should get a cheap headphone amp like the Creek OBH-11 ($170). The sound quality will be much better than a similarly priced preamp.

Jul 26, 2001 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Sorry to go off-topic - but, are you, (stutter), you, VOLDEMORT!?

harry potter fans.....would get this........harry potter haters......go to heck.....
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2001 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 9
If it's just for your TV, get yourself the Sennheiser DSP Pro surround processor. It'll give you a good surround effect for movies ( defeatable if so desired ), plus act as an extention chord so you don't have to sit right on top of the TV, plus give you remote volume control/mute over your phones.

If your TV isn't stereo, you would have to get a stereo to mono RCA adaptor and wouldn't get the surround effects however.

They can be had on E-Bay for $30 - $50 (original cost $200) and I believe there are still some E-commerce retailers selling them off for cheap as well....but hurry as it's officially discontinued. Search the archives here for more info on it.

Jul 26, 2001 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I get it (a 22 year old Harry Potter reader!) very funny.......you know who?..............

I actually read all 4 books in 1 week last summer after university! Can't wait for the next one!

Back to topic, I think the best option is the Sennheiser Pro or the QED amp, can be found for $30 second hand if you are lucky.

Jul 27, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

I actually read all 4 books in 1 week last summer after university! Can't wait for the next one!

Wow, you too? Read all 4 in a week last summer as well... sheesh!

Anyways, you will need some sort of amplifier to do the job... there are cheap things out there (mostly DIY amps). I'm sure there would be someone willing to construct a DIY amp for you for cheap (check the for sale forum, I think thomas is doing something like that)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back