Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 11, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #22,516 of 22,516
would this be just plug&play ? sorry i’m a total noob into device openings and whatnot…

edit : which connector is the right one ? pico lock or the other type ?
Oh my god! Lmao, where were you a week ago! 🤣

Atleast I learned something new. And I probably got a safe branded battery that I know what it is (from LG, the Korean company).

@mbirand
But yeah it is almost plug in play. From that link, you need the one listed in the drop-down box as "PR-CU-R648 - JST-PH". That JST-PH plug is the 2pin ribbon plug.

Then you would need to pull out the red wire in the plastic part and swap it's position with the black one.

Here is a picture of the original protection unit of the Hugo2 original battery.
Notice the red wire is in a different position compared to the plug in the link above.

Copy the plug in this picture 👆.
Should be as easy as lifting that plastic tab, and pulling out the positive red wire.

Oh and you'd still need thin double-sided tape to stick the new battery in place: iFixit Tesa 61395 Tape - 2 mm https://a.co/d/9JYi1tW

Lol! Quoting my old post.

Just wanna give an update on the battery swap. I ended up going with this battery. I could have gone with this with more capacity but I'd have to pay extra shipping due to that it is not UN38.3 tested ($44 per package; may be worth it if one decided to stock up these batteries). I have about 1hr longer battery life with the new 2600mah battery. The old battery I swapped out looks identical to the one sold in UK. I teared open the blue wrap. Underneath is a red wrap with no branding on it. Underneath the red wrap is the actual silver 18650 battery, still with no branding on it. I'd assume at some point Chord decided to ditch the Enix-Engery battery and went with a generic one.

The process is entirely tool-less, except for an allen wrench to open up the Hugo 2. I had to flip the JST-PH connector by opening it up with my finger nail, like @masahito24@chart had mentioned. Not sure who is the one not adhering to the standard here, Chord or Battery Space.

One can technically 3d print an external "battery cage" for Hugo 2 to make the battery swap even more accessible, like swapping out the AA battery from a walkman in the old days. You'll need a JST extension cable, possibly running it through a hole drilled on the bluetooth plastic window.

You can definitely leave a message in your order asking them to flip the connector for you, since the entire battery pack was custom built.
Here are two comprehensive measurements of 18650 batteries. MJ1 really is a solid choice for low amp usage.

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/t...50ga-vs-lg-mj1-vs-samsung-inr18650-35e.91821/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back