DSP Pro
Jul 18, 2001 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
What does it do? Should I get it for my sennheiser hd580s? I'll be using them for playing games,(w/ cmoy amp), watching movies (dolby digital reciever).

Jul 18, 2001 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 9
What about for games? Oh, and if I'll be using a cmoy amp, will there be any point, since I'm using a dolby digital reciever? Won't that give me surround with the headphones?

Jul 18, 2001 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 9
my guess is it will be usefull for games if they're dolby encoded. mainly meant for movies really. useless for music. it's not much of an amp tho IIRC, but it might make a nice volume control..

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 9
andrzejpw: The DSP pro is extremely solid and well built. It does quite a good job of creating a "surround" effect in your head with headphones. As a headphone amp and for listening to music, it's not very good as it's noisy and does not provide much volume. You will be able to plug your CMoy into the signal path with it however and it should sound pretty good.

It also works as a headphone extension cord and remote volume control.

I've never used it for games.

And no, a surround receiver will not produce surround effects on standard headphones.

Jul 19, 2001 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Your dobly digital receiver will do nothing "surroundy" for your headphones. The DSP Pro has two functions, to decode the Dolby Pro Logic Surround and to "virtualize" a surround sound effect in headphones. You can use the DSP Pro to do both at once (surround sound on headphones) or either one alone (decode surround sound for speakers or virtualize a 3d soundstage on headphones with normal stereo signals). It is mainly for movies and television (many tv dramas and important sports events are broadcast in pro logic surround). I don't know if many games support surround sound. Perhaps some console games, but I'm doubtful about PC games. It would seem to be the ideal product for those who watch movies late at night and don't want to wake the spouse/kids with thundering death star explosion sound effects.
smily_headphones1.gif

--
Scott

Jul 19, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 9
andrzejpw,

My DSP Pro came with the 580s from Headroom. My wife and I tried it out finally after about three months. We watched T2, the Ultimate Edition using the Beyer DT 250-80 and the Senn 580. The sound was great, nice channel separation and imaging. I could tell what direction the action came from and where it eventually went. The bass on both phones was deep, the 250-80 were lower, but not as tight ast the 580. Overall the 580 sounded better, not as dark as the 250-80, more detail. I have not used the DSP Pro with my game consoles, too many wires already.

There are some nice features on the unit. Separate volume, tone, and effects control for each headphone. Different settings, phantom, pro logic, hall, theatre, etc.

This is not to replace your home theatre set-up, but for late night movie sessions, the DSP Pro does it's job admirably.

Regards - reynman

Jul 23, 2001 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Since it is known that most DVDs have 2-channel surround sound the DSP PRO "WILL" work well, but with Dolby Digital stereo which includes rear sounds and bass the effect will sound off and won't give you that front and back crosstalk. It is only used for 2-channel surround sound movies not for even downmixed DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1. Now Sony and Yamaha has a version that decodes DD and DTS. If I were you, I'd buy the dsp pro but only for watching VHS movies or DVDs in dolby surround only.

In terms of the Toltec technolgy dsp pro simulates sound come from five distinct directions. Imagine a tight test tone pattern where you here each of the virtual speakers sounding a few inches from your head. The image is a bit tight but somewhat effective when trying to give that out of head image for movies. Try it out. The Dsp Pro is for headphone lovers who use headphones not home theatre speaker buffs.

Thanks to Dolby and Lake Technology Limited, they created Dolby Headphone. This new technology will change all that plus it can also decode Dolby Digital EX which creates a clearer surround sound field for newer movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back