FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
May 1, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,953 of 1,955
What is the point of EQ that much bass? xD
insted of EQ i sold maestro mini and bought scarlet

Still sometimes i add 2-3 db xD below 80 hz

I feel like the best answer to that would have to be "science". "For science".

I've been demo'ing a new work station desktop solution and I had the Fiio Q3 for a moment that had a +6db bass boost. I can only imagine what that would have done with the Scarlet Mini 😂

May 1, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #1,954 of 1,955
I feel like the best answer to that would have to be "science". "For science".

I've been demo'ing a new work station desktop solution and I had the Fiio Q3 for a moment that had a +6db bass boost. I can only imagine what that would have done with the Scarlet Mini 😂
I had q3 before k9 akm and k7

it was nice but didint use that boost, still better parametriq eq on pc.

because that swithc boost everything below 200-250 hz and makes sound muddy

i only boost below 80

May 1, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #1,955 of 1,955
What is the point of EQ that much bass? xD
insted of EQ i sold maestro mini and bought scarlet

Still sometimes i add 2-3 db xD below 80 hz
Well as a basshead it was...necessary lol. My thought process was hey the 7Hz Legato hits pretty hard with the 12mm unit in there and can easily handle an 8dB+ lowshelf in the sub-bass frequencies. The 12mm unit in the Aurora is probably at least equal to the one in the Legato, but tuned for less output. Theoretically, it should offer similar SPL capabilities, and I was right. In fact, the 12mm in the Aurora sounds cleaner and still offers a lot of output. Downside is you have to EQ it out which forces you to use an absurd negative gain to prevent clipping. You'll need a decently powerful amp to overcome the -14dB hole you put the IEMs in.

Also, being a basshead is pretty niche nowadays, especially if you're not wanting to compromise on technical performance. So far, Fatfreq is owning that area with the Scarlet Mini, Maestro Mini and the other expensive ones. However, if you have a good eye, you can spot some diamonds in the rough out there and bring out their bass potential while still capitalizing on the other areas they do well. The Aurora is one of those lucky finds, and if I didn't have the Legato, I would have never given them a shot.

It's definitely worth it once setup, but it can be challenging to drive, and you have to have the knowhow of setting up EQ profiles and implementing them on your sources (ie. Wavelet for Android, EqualizerAPO/PEACE for Windows, foobar2k + DSP Plugin + Parametric EQ DSP, squig.link for FR sourcing & dialing in, etc.).

I wasn't really planning on keeping the Scarlet Minis, just wanted to audition them, but of course I don't live in Singapore, so I had no choice but to bite the bullet. Now that that itch has been scratched and I don't have to speculate anymore, someone else can get them at a discount and skip the wait. Eyeballing that Dunu Glacier now lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Trae
Back