Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #6,721 of 6,732
When looking at the price development of the Brimars, tubes like WE300b start to look cheap. Need some nice 6sn7's to complement WE300b, but I'm not too exited to buy some tubes from some unknown random sellers (most propably those cheap ones are fake or they are far from the NOS)

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #6,722 of 6,732
I found a pair on lagerex today, its lower than ebay but still around 400 euro imported from UN.

All in all, I am not sure they are really better than something like lets say Sylvanias, which are much cheaper and well regaded by many.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #6,725 of 6,732
Brimars are a mess, maybe the biggest 6sn7 mess if you are looking for a grail tube. The ones likely to be grail tubes are d getters, military issue from the early 50s or sooner - not GTY - but they made a ton of these Brimar over the decades. The halo getters from the 50s, military GTY - I’d rate below a lot of 6sn7 though nice tubes but prices are crazy on these I think for what you get. A nice pair of tsbgrp or true 1578s is worth it because they are set and forget drivers with WE300b - if you can source a d getter GT Brimar well that might be too - I only got halo getter gty

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #6,726 of 6,732
Yes, but overall they were too expensive. :rolling_eyes:

I always read that a few years ago people were buying now TOTL tubes for way cheaper, that's messed up...
Yes, a few years ago your car, home, fuel and food were also way cheaper not just great vacuum tubes.

Your TSRP (and maybe Ken-Rad) were produced in the 1940’s and people recognized what great 6SN7 these were and have been collecting them for decades in audio.

You, thankfully, have the means to buy these fantastic tubes that were made 80+ years ago and still sound great!!! I think I bought my TSRP for about $300 almost 20 years ago and tat was a lot back the as well.

Audio isn’t immune to supply and demand as well as inflation.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #6,727 of 6,732
Brimars are a mess, maybe the biggest 6sn7 mess if you are looking for a grail tube. The ones likely to be grail tubes are d getters, military issue from the early 50s or sooner - not GTY - but they made a ton of these Brimar over the decades. The halo getters from the 50s, military GTY - I’d rate below a lot of 6sn7 though nice tubes but prices are crazy on these I think for what you get. A nice pair of tsbgrp or true 1578s is worth it because they are set and forget drivers with WE300b - if you can source a d getter GT Brimar well that might be too - I only got halo getter gty
Still learning...
Are these D getter, GTY (Y being brown base?), cv1988 (UK Gov designation for a GT), HH / KB FE stamped.

1000015992.jpg

1000015995.jpg

Are round and halo the same type of getter?

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #6,728 of 6,732
Yes, a few years ago your car, home, fuel and food were also way cheaper not just great vacuum tubes.

Your TSRP (and maybe Ken-Rad) were produced in the 1940’s and people recognized what great 6SN7 these were and have been collecting them for decades in audio.

You, thankfully, have the means to buy these fantastic tubes that were made 80+ years ago and still sound great!!! I think I bought my TSRP for about $300 almost 20 years ago and tat was a lot back the as well.

Audio isn’t immune to supply and demand as well as inflation.
I'm not talking about that kinda stuff, i'm talking about 2-3 years ago people bought tubes for 15-35 bucks that now cost 350-500+. That kind of price bump.
Of course everything gets more expensive, but tubes should not be bitcoins. Elrog also bumped up their prices, i just had much less of a problem with these prices if we got a lot more very good new stock tubes that sound equally good combined with a warranty. Normally if a tube goes kaputt or starts humming the answer from your dealer you can expect is: "Well duh, they are very old products that may or may not work as anticipated, be lucky you even had the chance to buy them off of me!"

Sadly i had to send the Sylvania Short Bottle back, one tube just didn't stop buzzing extremely loud, it made me think that one tube was defect. The seller will check it out. Thankfully the Kenrad VT-231 are very good.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #6,729 of 6,732
There is no doubt that the sellers read these threads and see what is the flavor of the month and jack up prices!
You are collecting some of the best 6SN7's and that is wise. They will no doubt continue to increase in cost as well.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #6,730 of 6,732
Still learning...
Are these D getter, GTY (Y being brown base?), cv1988 (UK Gov designation for a GT), HH / KB FE stamped.

1000015992.jpg

1000015995.jpg

Are round and halo the same type of getter?
Nice tubes! HH August 1952. We all have our preferences but the majority seem to like these tubes. Ring and halo tend to be the descriptive terms.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #6,731 of 6,732
I had a look earlier for a year chart for these Jeff but couldn't find one. Any pointers?

Indeed, they sound pretty good to my ears. Big thanks to a mutual friend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back