Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 1, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #1,021 of 1,023
Wandla vs Erco (gen 1)... I am blown away. Testing with LCD-5, Hypsos and Erco as the amp section.

No more treble glare. I didn't realise how much glare Erco suffered from. Wandla is clean and natural, with the smoothest timbre I've ever heard. Whilst being very punchy and detailed. Treble is natural and clean. Erco was slightly artificial.

Stage has improved, going slightly in front (and behind) my head. Separation is better, especially clear in busy songs. The stage is less "fixed" in place, and more fluid. Sounds coming from many directions.

Micro-dynamics are much better. Each impact has multiple, smaller pieces making it up. There is so much texture to this.

Wandla uses the 9038PRO chip, while Erco has 9028PRO. I think the chip makes a difference in fullness and bass weight, plus treble smoothness. As I've used other 9038 DACs that had a similar weight and body in the bass region.

Something about 9028 Pro is just thinner, too dry, and snappy/brittle. The transients are TOO fast on Erco. I've noticed this in every 9028 DAC including Erco. Even though Ferrum bypasses the chip in some areas, I think it still matters.

Hope that's helpful to anyone wondering how they compare!
Congrats on the upgrade! I wasn't a fan of erco 1 (haven't tried 2) myself. The Wandla is a very significant step up imo

May 1, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #1,022 of 1,023
We got word from Ferrum directly this morning that they are going to be shipping our units out next week from Poland. It's generally about 3-4 days from there depending on customs so hopefully we will be shipping out units by next Friday at the earliest, the week after at the latest!
Well, I just placed my order, so I'll be looking forward to the delivery! :gs1000smile:

May 1, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #1,023 of 1,023
Wandla vs Erco (gen 1)... I am blown away. Testing with LCD-5, Hypsos and Erco as the amp section.

No more treble glare. I didn't realise how much glare Erco suffered from. Wandla is clean and natural, with the smoothest timbre I've ever heard. Whilst being very punchy and detailed. Treble is natural and clean. Erco was slightly artificial.

Stage has improved, going slightly in front (and behind) my head. Separation is better, especially clear in busy songs. The stage is less "fixed" in place, and more fluid. Sounds coming from many directions.

Micro-dynamics are much better. Each impact has multiple, smaller pieces making it up. There is so much texture to this.

Wandla uses the 9038PRO chip, while Erco has 9028PRO. I think the chip makes a difference in fullness and bass weight, plus treble smoothness. As I've used other 9038 DACs that had a similar weight and body in the bass region.

Something about 9028 Pro is just thinner, too dry, and snappy/brittle. The transients are TOO fast on Erco. I've noticed this in every 9028 DAC including Erco. Even though Ferrum bypasses the chip in some areas, I think it still matters.

Hope that's helpful to anyone wondering how they compare!
I had similar impressions going from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2 Erco. Makes sense since basically everything surrounding the DAC chip itself (DSP/upsampling filter in front and I/V converter behind) was redesigned using tech from the Wandla. The treble is significantly cleaner, and that cleans up everything else too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back