Focal Clear moving to „end game“.
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DillingerEP

Head-Fier
Hi there!

I am looking for a high end open back headphone. Dynamic or Planar does not matter.

The Focal Clear is a very pleasing headphone for me, with its punchy, lower end focused sound, that is technically strong but pleasing with its warmer side of neutral tuning. So it can deliver a powerful sound.

The music i like is: Rock, Metal, Pop, Hip Hop.

I listened to Hifiman HE 1000 v2: too much high mids and treble for me.

Meze Empyrean: Too warm and too much mid bass. Lacked in detail.

I know, everyone has different opinions and Different ears. But i would like to read your opinions of choosing a high end, detailed, but powerful sounding headphone with emphasis on the lower frequenzies headphone.

I thought about the Modhouse Tungsten, ZMF Atrium, Focal Utopia and Austrian Audio Composer.

So what high end headphone Would be a nice upgrade to the good Focal Clear?

Only the Utopia 2022? Oder maybe the Atrium? What about the Final Audio D8000?

As i wrote. The heaphone should have a very good detail retrieval but not too much treble. Strong mids and bass.

Id like to read your opinions, hints and experience.

Thank you.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 4
i cant give you listening expressions since i dont really hear music with my headphones, i just use them (mostly for youtube) when im not using speakers basicly , so i havent felt a big urge to upgrade but what i noticed with the DT880 (pretty much the only high quality headphones i had so far) that if you like the overall characteristics like transient response and detail retrieval than EQ can do a lot of good to get it "exactly" to your taste (also look up harman curve/correction)

it probably wont help much in your search but keep EQ in mind... IMO its silly to buy headphone after headphone just to get a different EQ .... get a headphone with some nice drivers (which preferably are close to your target curve) and EQ them a bit to your taste :) imo this saves a lot of money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back