Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC for iPhone, iPod and iPad (With Built-In Headphone Amp) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 011
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129
NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In Episode 011 of Head-Fi TV, we take a look at the Fostex HP-P1, a portable DAC (based on the AKM4480 32-bit DAC chip) for iDevices (iPhone / iPod / iPad), that has its own built-in headphone amp.  You may recall in Head-Fi TV Episode 003 we looked at another portable iDevice DAC--the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo--and we do discuss the Fostex HP-P1 relative to the Algorhythm Solo in this episode.

This episode is brought to you by CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audiofest and Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  Find out more about the best high-end headphone show in the world by visiting http://www.canjam.org

Products mentioned in the video:

1. Fostex HP-P1 portable digital iPod/iPhone/iPad DAC and headphone amplifier
  2. Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo portable digital iPod/iPhone/iPad DAC
  3. Apple iPod 160GB portable media player
  4. Apple iPhone mobile phone and portable media player
  5. Apple iPad tablet computer and media player
  6. HiFiMAN HM-801 portable media player, DAC and headphone amp
  7. JH Audio JH-16 Pro custom in-ear monitors
  8. Westone ES5 custom in-ear monitors
  9. Ray Samuels Audio Shadow headphone amplifier
  10. TTVJ Slim portable headphone amplifier
  11. HeadAmp Pico Slim portable headphone amplifier
  12. Audeze LCD-2 planar magnetic headphones
  13. AKG K 340 hybrid electret / dynamic headphones (discontinued)
  14. Sennheiser HD 800 headphones
  15. HiFiMAN HE-6 headphones
  16. Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B fully balanced portable headphone amp
  17. Sennheiser HD 558 headphones
  18. Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
  19. Grado HF-1 (Grado Head-Fi Series) headphonest
  20. V-MODA Crossfade M-80 headphones
  21. Sennheiser / adidas HD 25-1 II Originals headphones
  22. beyerdynamic DT 1350 headphones

Head-Fi TV Episode 011 produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 129
Gotta love the episodes! That is a very hefty price tag though.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 129
$650.00 street price -- worth every bit of it.  

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 129
Good to know the DACs are more similar than different, however i wish Jude would've compared the amp section of the HP-P1 against the others he hand on hand...

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 129
Sep 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 129
Post removed.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 129

Quote:
Have you heard it?

Bought it -- Moon Audio.  Drew throws in a Silver Dragon LOD/USB, so IMO this is the best deal out there.  

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 129

Quote:
That doesn't make it portable though. I don't think many people could fit that and an iPod in their pocket comfortably.

You know now that I think about it it's a real shame the CLAS and Fostex stuff doesn't work with any DAP. If it did a nice clip+ combo would make it quite a nice portable option. As it is the only more portable option remaining is a iPod Nano which carries quite a premium price.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 129

Quote:
That doesn't make it portable though. I don't think many people could fit that and an iPod in their pocket comfortably.

Since when does being able to put a device(s) in your pocket define portability?   This is no less portable than an iPod plus competent portable amp.  Compared to my previous go-to portable set-up, 160GB Classic/RSA SR 71-A, the HP P-1 is slightly bigger than the RSA but the total footprint feels pretty much the same.  SQ is exponentially better.  Mind blowingly so.  If I want to minimalist, yes I will go with IEMs/iPod and still have a good time.  Heck, I have a good time with the Nano and IEM's.  The sound from a stacked setup, whether CLAS or HP P-1 and with resolving enough 'phones, is whole different ballgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back