HE1000V2 source suggestions
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

takuta

New Head-Fier
Hello! I got a refurbished HE1000V2, but underestimated how hard they would be to drive properly, as they sound quite wispy and hollow when used with my A50S/D50S stack. Does anyone with an HE1000V2 have any recommendations for source components that the HE1000V2 sounds full with? Not really thinking about budget too much, just trying to get a lay of the land before I start doing my own researching. DAC/AMP all in ones like the Burson Audio Playmate 2 (which I was recommended from headphones.com) are preferable, but I'm already running an A50S/D50S stack, so dedicated DAC and AMP are workable too. Thanks!

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Questyle gear pairs extremely well with Hifiman planars. CMA twelve or fifteen would be excellent for the V2, both can be found used for half msrp or less. I'm using a M15 to great effect but I have the easier to drive stealth version.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 8
DAC: R2R/ladder/multibit such as Gumby A1, Audio-gd, etc

Amp: Class A (or at least sliding bias Class A) SS or hybrid tube (not OTL)

Would be my choices

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Hello! I got a refurbished HE1000V2, but underestimated how hard they would be to drive properly, as they sound quite wispy and hollow when used with my A50S/D50S stack. Does anyone with an HE1000V2 have any recommendations for source components that the HE1000V2 sounds full with? Not really thinking about budget too much, just trying to get a lay of the land before I start doing my own researching. DAC/AMP all in ones like the Burson Audio Playmate 2 (which I was recommended from headphones.com) are preferable, but I'm already running an A50S/D50S stack, so dedicated DAC and AMP are workable too. Thanks!
I just upgraded from the Arya Stealth's to The HE1000v2's and yes, they are definitely harder to drive. I'm in the process of changing dac/amps and headamps myself. I just purchased the JDS Element III and it sounds wonderful BUT not enough output for me with my dj mixes that I mix, so I'm adding a Schiit Midgard as just an amp. I should have enough power with that. The Element with it's parametric eq allows you to adjust bass and me using it gives me the fullness that I want from my headphones. Right at this moment, I'm listening to an Afrobeats mix I just did earlier tonight and the low end has been surprising me. I used the headphones as my monitors when I made the mix, so hearing the difference from my mixer to the Element III is surprisingly good. I also have the HiFiMan EF400 and it definitely has the go nads to drive the HE1000v2's and has a decent bass output with them BUT I want a little more sub bass than what it provided for me. It probably would be enough bass for most of the headphone users that post in the headphone forums.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 8
what does one need to spend on dac amp combo to make v2 sing? I'm on a tight budget- is it even possible under $1K?
One box required? How about used?

New: Schiit Jot w/ included MB DAC $600 - XLR only

Used: Schiit Ragnarok 1 ~$625 & Schiit Bifrost 1 MB ~$425

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 8
I just upgraded from a Topping DX7Pro to the Schiit Bifrost 2/64. That, combined with my Audio-GD amp is a warm enough combination to really fill out my HE1000 Stealth.

I'm someone who favors warm, organic sounding headphones, so I was a little worried when I took the plunge on the HEK. But man, I have no issues with these headphones on my source chain. They are so smooth and non fatiguing.

I'm also waiting on the Violectric V281 Reissue as an upgrade for my Audio-GD amp. I suspect it won't sound much warmer than what I already have, but still improve on many other areas.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 8
The HE (IMO) needs a tube in the signal path and SS amp performance as a very general statement. Critical listeners may disagree but so many search for the most accurate specs then get burned out on it's sterile sound. Make no mistake though, the HE planars will not respond at it's best without a powerful cat under the hood. Not the number of watts but how well it can deliver them. Some of us took the approach that while not used, the higher wattage amps had the power supply agile and strong enough to match the performance of the HE when planars were becoming popular. It's been debated in the HE threads and many of us had unused speaker amps in inventory and thought why not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back