Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,821 of 2,830
I know it's off topic, but it might still be interesting to some to read about new Elrog tube developments. (No 300B equivalent, don't get your hopes up)

Elrog ONE,TWO,THREE

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #2,822 of 2,830
I'm selling my Elrog ER300b if anyone is interested: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...pair-excellent-condition-with-warranty.66694/

Western Electric won out in the end. (though come back in a few weeks' time where I'll have changed my mind again!)
It's taken a while to figure out exactly where both sit in my chain's synergy. Who the hell knows, they're both fantastic given certain headphones, mood etc. But I need to make a decision to cover some costs elsewhere.

PM me if interested. Cheers!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #2,823 of 2,830
Yeah ideally I would keep both, really comes down to the mood and synergy. Wish those totl 300b been less expensive.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #2,824 of 2,830
Yeah ideally I would keep both, really comes down to the mood and synergy. Wish those totl 300b been less expensive.
Same, I own a few sets but if I were to trim WE stays.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #2,825 of 2,830
Yeah WE just got some magic to them that I dont want to miss.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #2,826 of 2,830
Speaking from my experience on Envy with Susvara - ER300B sounded better with more driver combinations than WE300B but my best combo with Susvara was with WE300B. I'd like to get the MOs or TM300Bs for Susvara - plenty of anecdotes about synergy of the MOs with Susvara and would love to hear more about TM300B, but it is in so few hands that really get into detail about them. I don't see a need for most headphones and certainly dynamics like 800s to stray from WE300B.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #2,827 of 2,830
Well, curiosity got the better of me. Got a Supratek DHT Pre coming (sadly doesn't have the heater switch, so only 300b capable, not 45/2a3) to give a try with my Boulder 1161. Should be interesting at the very least. Not sure if I'll stick with it over plain old solid state, will report back!

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #2,828 of 2,830
I come with excellent news guys.

Thomas Mayer finished his new tube production for the Munich High End and next up are the production runs for the 300B Variants, starting with TM-300B !

He accepts direct orders for the TM-300B in April and will only produce as much as ordered, plus a little for potential warranty cases.
Price within EU is 4000,- € for the matched pair including shipping and VAT.
Price international is 3500,- € excl. VAT but including insured shipping. Declared price will be the true value so consider TAX/Customs on top.

Since he made bad experience with waiting lists this time around he only accepts orders with payments up front.

Design has been slightly altered and they are now named Thomas Mayer TM-300B instead of ELROG TM-300B. TM300B.jpg

I asked him him wether it's possible to turn the print 90 degrees for Envy users and will report back with the answer.
Update: It is not possible to turn the print unless ordering a huge amount of tubes, he didn't mention an exact quantity but it apparent that he meant full production runs like the Feliks Audio branded ones.

Sidenote: It might potentially be the last TM-300B run depending on how his new tubes will be received. TMs have always been meant for his own amplifiers and if customers of those prefer the new custom tubes then there might be no need for TM-300B anymore.

After TM-300B will come a ER300B production run followed by ER300B-MO.

Orders can be placed via: info@elrog.com
wow...I learned something new today...didnt know 300b's came in different flavors...

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #2,829 of 2,830
Well, curiosity got the better of me. Got a Supratek DHT Pre coming (sadly doesn't have the heater switch, so only 300b capable, not 45/2a3) to give a try with my Boulder 1161. Should be interesting at the very least. Not sure if I'll stick with it over plain old solid state, will report back!
Experience tells me this preamp will be much better than any off the shelf solid state pre. I have the Grange, and it totally changed my opinion of how important a pre is in the chain.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,830 of 2,830
Experience tells me this preamp will be much better than any off the shelf solid state pre. I have the Grange, and it totally changed my opinion of how important a pre is in the chain.
It will certainly be interesting. I'll have it on Monday, so should be able to report back soon with initial thoughts. Though, I won't have upgraded 300b's for a couple months, but I guess I'll find out eventually what the difference is. I'm very happy with my 1110 Boulder pre for straight up neutral solid state, so the Cabernet will be a nice flavour change (I hope.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back