Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #12,287 of 12,295
My search for a good closed back continues! A little bit of background so I can my question can be better understood: I own the LCD-2C, the Hifiman Sundara, the iSine 20 and the Beyer 900 Pro X. My digital system is based around an RME ADI-2 DAC with a Drop THX 789 while my analog system is based on a Rega Planar 3 (with the Rega Exact cart), and Schiit Loki/Magni 3 stack.

I listen to a wide variety of metal and rock (along with the occasional jazz) and favourite bands include Wintersun, Ensiferum, Cradle of Filth, Dissection, Ghost, Sleep Token, Rotting Christ, Slipknot all the way to Steven Wilson, Blackfield or Heilung (the wide variety makes it hard to choose headphones but that’s the magic!).

Now, I absolutely love all of my pairs and I consider myself covered regarding open backs and I’ve been looking for a closed back pair for practical reasons. The thing is, however, that when listening to vinyl I cannot use EQ (apart from wide corrections with the Loki) and that makes my two Audezes (especially the iSines) sound horrible with vinyl. Sundara sound really good with vinyl but they are open back and leak sound like crazy.

So I guess I’m looking for a pair that is a) closed back b) with a decent stock FR (even something resembling the Sundaras would suffice) that doesn’t need complicated EQ to sound good c) is not overly warm so that it can be a good match with vinyl and d) fits within my budget of 600 euros max.

Ok I know I’m asking for a lot but at the end of the day I just need a good closed back that doesn’t require EQ to sound good with metal. The ones on my shortlist are a) Denon d5200 b) Beyer 1770 pro and c) Argon MK3 (used pair). I even thought to go crazy and get a Monarch MK3 but I’ll have to drown that voice for now :)

Any input will be appreciated!!

I just logged on to post a very similar question ! Wintersun are my favorite band, I’m on their Patreon and listen to them pretty much non stop. Can you believe Time II is really happening ??
I am in your same shoes except my library is more OSDM. HD660S2 works wonders with my library on the open back end, also have Koss KPH40 which surprisingly sounds really good for how little they cost. Looking for a closed back with warmth and smoother treble, D5200 is the top contender in and around $500. Everyone here highly praises VC and stuff but those are a bit too expensive for my wallet.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #12,288 of 12,295
Beyer 1770 Pro with Harman EQ is the best headphones I heard for metal and classic rock.
Oh ok, good to know! What about without EQ though?
I am in your same shoes except my library is more OSDM. HD660S2 works wonders with my library on the open back end, also have Koss KPH40 which surprisingly sounds really good for how little they cost. Looking for a closed back with warmth and smoother treble, D5200 is the top contender in and around $500. Everyone here highly praises VC and stuff but those are a bit too expensive for my wallet.
Exactly, I keep reading about the VC, the XC or the TH900 but they’re just way outside my budget, even for used pairs. I was also looking at the focal radiance but they’re hard to find.

Yeah the more I read the more the d5200 seems like the safest choice. I’m skeptical about the 1770 - I tried my Beyers with the Rega today and maybe I’m spoiled by the planar bass because I really felt they were lacking low end but when I tried to add some through the Loki’s low shelf they started distorting like crazy during the louder/faster parts.

I bought the iSine 20 because it leaks way less that full sized headphones but although it’s absolutely crazy good with EQ, it’s basically unlistenable at its stock tuning (especially with vinyl for some reason) so I kept it for my office.

Can’t find a lot of info on the Argons’ stock tuning and metal.

Edit: It’s such a shame that the Sundara Closed get such bad reviews because that’s all I need, something resembling the Sundara in closed back format!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #12,289 of 12,295
Oh ok, good to know! What about without EQ though?

Exactly, I keep reading about the VC, the XC or the TH900 but they’re just way outside my budget, even for used pairs. I was also looking at the focal radiance but they’re hard to find.

Yeah the more I read the more the d5200 seems like the safest choice. I’m skeptical about the 1770 - I tried my Beyers with the Rega today and maybe I’m spoiled by the planar bass because I really felt they were lacking low end but when I tried to add some through the Loki’s low shelf they started distorting like crazy during the louder/faster parts.

I bought the iSine 20 because it leaks way less that full sized headphones but although it’s absolutely crazy good with EQ, it’s basically unlistenable at its stock tuning (especially with vinyl for some reason) so I kept it for my office.

Can’t find a lot of info on the Argons’ stock tuning and metal.

Edit: It’s such a shame that the Sundara Closed get such bad reviews because that’s all I need, something resembling the Sundara in closed back format!
I haven't tried the D5200, but recently picked up a D7200 used for ~$400. They are excellent. I wanted something darker than my th900mkii with the same bass.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #12,290 of 12,295
I haven't tried the D5200, but recently picked up a D7200 used for ~$400. They are excellent. I wanted something darker than my th900mkii with the same bass.

Thanks for the input! I actually just found out that the 7200 from Amazon is also within my budget so I’ve been reading comparisons with the 5200. The consensus seems to be that the two are very close with the 7200 sounding warmer and the 5200 a little more balanced with more forward treble. How dark are we talking though? My thinking is that vinyl already has that warm analog sound so maybe the 5200 would be a better fit.

May 2, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #12,291 of 12,295
I love that album on your display picture, Dark recollections 🤘🏽
Can the 7200 keep up with the music when the tracks gets complex? Heard the bass is quite big so wondering if they can handle the speed? Also is it forgiving for something like early 90’s black metal?

May 2, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #12,292 of 12,295
Can the 7200 keep up with the music when the tracks gets complex? Heard the bass is quite big so wondering if they can handle the speed? Also is it forgiving for something like early 90’s black metal?

It does pretty well for complex tracks but the 7200 would not be my choice if I could only have 1 pair of headphones. It's not really my preferred sound signature for black metal. I'm probably in the minority but an EQ'd HD800S is by far my favorite for black metal. The openness really adds to the atmosphere. The 7200 is rather forgiving and that's one of the reasons I grabbed it. I have enough highly detailed setups that can be painful with a lot of 80s/90s metal.

May 2, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #12,293 of 12,295
It does pretty well for complex tracks but the 7200 would not be my choice if I could only have 1 pair of headphones. It's not really my preferred sound signature for black metal. I'm probably in the minority but an EQ'd HD800S is by far my favorite for black metal. The openness really adds to the atmosphere. The 7200 is rather forgiving and that's one of the reasons I grabbed it. I have enough highly detailed setups that can be painful with a lot of 80s/90s metal.
I am guessing you mean the 7200’s are very intimate sounding and lacks in soundstage? Would you call the 7200’s warm laid back in tonality?

Edit - I am sensitive to treble so energetic/lively sets + bad production is nightmare for my tinnitus.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #12,294 of 12,295
Hey folks. I'm looking for some cans up to 900 eur/usd, open, for the below metal genres:

- doom
- heavy
- black
- others eg Power, progressive etc.

I have a pair of Sundaras with a usb mini amp/Dac and I'm looking to upgrade from that. I like that signature but I would prefer a bit more bass. What do you think, perhaps an Ananda nano? Or an LCD X? Or GX? Or...

May 3, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #12,295 of 12,295
Hey folks. I'm looking for some cans up to 900 eur/usd, open, for the below metal genres:

- doom
- heavy
- black
- others eg Power, progressive etc.

I have a pair of Sundaras with a usb mini amp/Dac and I'm looking to upgrade from that. I like that signature but I would prefer a bit more bass. What do you think, perhaps an Ananda nano? Or an LCD X? Or GX? Or...
JM Audio XTC open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back