Hifiman HE6-SE
May 5, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #3,901 of 3,903
Just a thought but a quality integrated speaker amp with digital & analog interfaces. The upstream components could be tailored to taste with a tube or SS DAC, turntable, streamer. Before thinking this would only drive the HE, better plug them traditional headphones into that amp. I had the K701, Senn 600 & 800, Beyer 880, AT's, etc. come across the speaker amp for comparison and they all benefited from the refined power and hiss was not heard. The headphone amps compared included contracted built headphone amps with plenty of prestige components of the time and the guy that jumped down that rabbit hole sold all his headphone amps and settled in with some Emotiva monoblocks until moving on to stats. That was 15 years ago though. Our conclusion was the transformer and caps in the speaker amps had the brute power on demand. Not that the headphone used anywhere near the available power but it was there when needed.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #3,902 of 3,903
Read the following in Headphonesty re: HE-6 SE:

This is what neutral planar magnetic bass is all about. It’s there when the music calls for it, but is everything that a bass-boosted signature is not. Notes are controlled and clear. They are viscerally engaging at times and just enough to balance a crisp high-end at others.

This is the subtlety and strength of a great pair of headphones. The ability to deftly and effortlessly balance quantity and quality.

Exactly.

May 6, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #3,903 of 3,903
Read the following in Headphonesty re: HE-6 SE:

This is what neutral planar magnetic bass is all about. It’s there when the music calls for it, but is everything that a bass-boosted signature is not. Notes are controlled and clear. They are viscerally engaging at times and just enough to balance a crisp high-end at others.

This is the subtlety and strength of a great pair of headphones. The ability to deftly and effortlessly balance quantity and quality.

Exactly.
That tracks. My HE6se v2's are for when I don't want to think about the fact that I'm wearing headphones: live performances, games, movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back