HiFiMan Shangri-La Jr (New $8000 Electrostat)
May 17, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #571 of 572
Hi
I must be the rare one i do own and like the dekoni lambskin ones. It is true that brain needs a couple of days to adapt, but I hear more 3D and detail. Would maybe try these ones.
I often change between denoki and the originals, I have substituted the crappy plastic rings (I hate it) for some velcro system similar to R10 one (easily reverted) so it is quick and i am happy with it

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #572 of 572
Curiosity got the better of me and I pulled out my miniDSP EARS to measure the new pads. Comparison against stock pads (from an old measurement, so I have a different set of stock earpads now) below. Measurements were volume-matched at 80 dB at 300 Hz.
SGL_Jr_ZMF_vs_stock_earpads.png

I'm surprised by the lack of difference in the measured bass. In fact, the ZMF pads have worse bass extension than stock. The ZMF pads sound bassier. It may just be the upper bass boost adding more body and slam to percussion.

The change to the midrange almost completely linearizes it; this is a compensated measurement to miniDSP's HPN compensation curve. When I listen to a sine sweep, I don't hear any serious peaks or dips from 200 Hz all the way up to 5 KHz. The 5.5K dip is mitigated to an extent.

There's still a noticeable 7.2K dip to my ears, unlike what the graph shows. I suspect that's just a pinna artifact on my ears. Then above that there's a bit more treble energy in the 10-15K region. I don't actually hear that notch at 9-10K in a sine sweep; I suspect it's a rig interaction.

Overall, these are good pads. I like how they maintain the general sound of the SGL Jr while filling in parts of the sound that may have been weaker. The midrange is certainly more present than with the stock pads and it does sound a bit more like the X9000's midrange. I just can't shake the feeling that the sound has become a bit aggressive and in-my-face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back