Home cooked headphones - Come one come all! Anyone welcome
Dec 29, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #32 of 40
Felt like I was cheating a bit using a pe-made set of housings with the Grado Upgrade Kit from Aliexpress so modeled my own set with skeletonised sides out of curiosity to see if it made any noticible difference to soundstage. Chucked the model through Keyshot to render some glamour shots while I wait for the print to finish. Should be a fin test of the retraction settings on my Ender 3.
untitled.4.jpg
untitled.5.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #33 of 40
Assembled them this morning and giving them a test over a coffee. Still burning in but they're definitely more open sounding with a bigger soundstage than the AliExpress housings.Bass isn't quite as pronounced but I think that might be a mix of them burning in and the Grado G pads that usually reduce the amount of bass. Would have used the pads off the AliExpress pair but their bigger than the standard Grado ones.

Going to order a few more sets of the 40mm Peerless drivers and experiment with driver tuning with a slightly modified version of these housings. Might look at ordering a Sony MDR7506 headband as the clamping pressure of the one I'm using isn't great though that's probably because I have a huge head.
1000016285.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #34 of 40
Oooooo, hope it works! What material for the centre piece?

PETG. Probably gonna go through a few revisions to get the right clamp force. There's gonna be a strap as well which will might be TPU but I'm gonna see if a thin PETG print might be flexible enough. :thinking:

If I can do all of the parts in a single print it will be a huge plus.

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #35 of 40
DSC_0452.jpgDSC_0453.jpg
Denon 9200 Speakers vs Haoyun biodynamic!
Left is the Denon, Right is the Haoyun.

I havent done sound tests on the Denon yet, but if you ever wanted a reference for both, here it is!
Do you have a link to that driver? Asked you about it on the r/Headphones subreddit but you said you can't share links there.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #36 of 40
Jan 28, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #37 of 40
DIY estats

Left: fr4 stators 110mmx75mm active area, 3 micron mylar, .6mm fr4 spacers, attached wires.
Right: wire mesh stators w/ 3d printed support rings, 88mm circular active area, 3 micron mylar, .5mm fr4 spacers, 3.5mm detachable wires (mistake should've done mini xlr, touching the bias pin makes your finger go tingly)

pads/headbands are not diy

PXL_20240128_205421182.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #38 of 40
Sorry my english very poor...

Even though I made this mod product a long time ago, after reading this topic, I have more motivation to share my mod product. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k52-from-36-to-360-performance-the-makeover-mods.957060/ I have the same thoughts as him about the cynics.

If we spend money, or pay a lot of money, to buy a groundbreaking headset, I think it's very easy. Even rare products like the Sony R10 can still be bought if you have a lot of money. But to adjust or mod a product to satisfy the sound and usage needs is really difficult.

This mod product was born with the need for bright sound, more detail, and less bass, like other open headphones. but can be folded and has bluetooth.

I used akg 40mm driver. This is a popular driver and easy to find. Surely everyone will recognize it. I placed the driver with open sides all around instead of straight behind. This helps them retain a sufficient amount of bass without lacking it.

The back is completely closed, where I will put it later when I find a suitable bluetooth board. So it's open back and still has bluetooth. and can still be folded compactly when traveling.

I don't confirm that this is a diy product. Because of the headband and housing I got it from the HP h2800. I bought them for only 5 USD. As my original goal, this headband has the ability to fold very well, and their housing is very suitable for me to hang the akg driver suspended with open sides around it.

I don't know what the technical term is, I describe it as semi-open. Same type of driver as above. I have another mod version it is open back. Completely open back. But the sound cannot be digested.

That's what made me want to test this semi-open mod. The audio result was exactly as I expected. The high range is bright, the mid range is just right, and the low range is just enough. it's a headphone I use whenever I'm tired of the bass of other closed-back headphones. If there is a reference ear. I think it sounds very similar to the akg k701. except less bass. This is the bass of the instruments. It is compact, appears and disappears at the right time. Does not produce a persistent buzzing sound.

The soundstage is really wide. There are details it is even better than ad900x and ma900. However, this product cannot accommodate music containing many drum instruments. This is the weakness. At least it's a product that satisfies my curiosity. Thank you for reading and trying to understand what I describe.

Housing HP h2800. Driver akg.

20240215_160012.jpg

I kept this old HP grill so that part of the sound resonates with the housing. Part of it disperses and escapes to the surroundings. If you remove it, the sound will be dark. It's like talking into an empty beer can.
20240215_160104.jpg

Driver is in suspended state. The surroundings are completely empty.
20240215_161242.jpg

20240215_161317.jpg

Done, they are very compact and are what I take on trips
20240215_161334.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #39 of 40
DIY estats

Left: fr4 stators 110mmx75mm active area, 3 micron mylar, .6mm fr4 spacers, attached wires.
Right: wire mesh stators w/ 3d printed support rings, 88mm circular active area, 3 micron mylar, .5mm fr4 spacers, 3.5mm detachable wires (mistake should've done mini xlr, touching the bias pin makes your finger go tingly)

pads/headbands are not diy

PXL_20240128_205421182.jpg
Absolutely lovely!! Love the colours used

Sorry my english very poor...

Even though I made this mod product a long time ago, after reading this topic, I have more motivation to share my mod product. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-k52-from-36-to-360-performance-the-makeover-mods.957060/ I have the same thoughts as him about the cynics.

If we spend money, or pay a lot of money, to buy a groundbreaking headset, I think it's very easy. Even rare products like the Sony R10 can still be bought if you have a lot of money. But to adjust or mod a product to satisfy the sound and usage needs is really difficult.

This mod product was born with the need for bright sound, more detail, and less bass, like other open headphones. but can be folded and has bluetooth.

I used akg 40mm driver. This is a popular driver and easy to find. Surely everyone will recognize it. I placed the driver with open sides all around instead of straight behind. This helps them retain a sufficient amount of bass without lacking it.

The back is completely closed, where I will put it later when I find a suitable bluetooth board. So it's open back and still has bluetooth. and can still be folded compactly when traveling.

I don't confirm that this is a diy product. Because of the headband and housing I got it from the HP h2800. I bought them for only 5 USD. As my original goal, this headband has the ability to fold very well, and their housing is very suitable for me to hang the akg driver suspended with open sides around it.

I don't know what the technical term is, I describe it as semi-open. Same type of driver as above. I have another mod version it is open back. Completely open back. But the sound cannot be digested.

That's what made me want to test this semi-open mod. The audio result was exactly as I expected. The high range is bright, the mid range is just right, and the low range is just enough. it's a headphone I use whenever I'm tired of the bass of other closed-back headphones. If there is a reference ear. I think it sounds very similar to the akg k701. except less bass. This is the bass of the instruments. It is compact, appears and disappears at the right time. Does not produce a persistent buzzing sound.

The soundstage is really wide. There are details it is even better than ad900x and ma900. However, this product cannot accommodate music containing many drum instruments. This is the weakness. At least it's a product that satisfies my curiosity. Thank you for reading and trying to understand what I describe.

Housing HP h2800. Driver akg.

20240215_160012.jpg

I kept this old HP grill so that part of the sound resonates with the housing. Part of it disperses and escapes to the surroundings. If you remove it, the sound will be dark. It's like talking into an empty beer can.
20240215_160104.jpg

Driver is in suspended state. The surroundings are completely empty.
20240215_161242.jpg

20240215_161317.jpg

Done, they are very compact and are what I take on trips
20240215_161334.jpg
Your english is fine! Very lovely and well done. Its something I havent seen before and looks really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back