Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,471 of 1,479
I own (and love) the Icon Audio HP8. The NOS tubes that are currently in it push the sound even higher than usual. From day-1 what I heard from the HP8 was a real glimpse of big league tube amp sound, all coming from a compact, manageable component.

I now have a loaner ZMF Aegis tube amp in the office for review. It's big, heavy & uses 5 large tubes. It has been in my main system, where I listened to it on & off all week. The ZMF Aegis is more than a glimpse of big league tube sound--it is big league tube sound.

Tomorrow I'll install the ZMF Aegis adjacent to the HP8 in my side system, where both will benefit from the chill but precise & detailed NOS sound of the Metrum Onyx (IMO a valuable review tool). I'll compare these transformer-coupled tube amps on my best planar and best dynamic headphones, respectively (Caldera Open & Verite Open). I'm pumped at the opportunity to do this. I already know it'll be one of those comparisons where there is no loser....

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,472 of 1,479
What a great opportunity! 👍

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,473 of 1,479
I own (and love) the Icon Audio HP8. The NOS tubes that are currently in it push the sound even higher than usual. From day-1 what I heard from the HP8 was a real glimpse of big league tube amp sound, all coming from a compact, manageable component.

I now have a loaner ZMF Aegis tube amp in the office for review. It's big, heavy & uses 5 large tubes. It has been in my main system, where I listened to it on & off all week. The ZMF Aegis is more than a glimpse of big league tube sound--it is big league tube sound.

Tomorrow I'll install the ZMF Aegis adjacent to the HP8 in my side system, where both will benefit from the chill but precise & detailed NOS sound of the Metrum Onyx (IMO a valuable review tool). I'll compare these transformer-coupled tube amps on my best planar and best dynamic headphones, respectively (Caldera Open & Verite Open). I'm pumped at the opportunity to do this. I already know it'll be one of those comparisons where there is no loser....
Damn, I wish I lived near Goshen NY right now. I would be offering up a case of whatever libation you fancy to join you for a couple hours. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

The HP8 and VO are, so far, my favorite listening experience, and I remain tempted by the Caldera but my CanJam audition did not convince me. I suspect it might be different if I could try it in a quiet environment with the mantle mesh and thick pads (based on what I have read).

If the Aegis thrashes the HP8, I may have to consider rearranging my whole house! And let’s remember that the Icon 205D is in a similar price ballpark. Peter, have you been keeping up with Ardbeg’s experience with the 205D in that thread?

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #1,474 of 1,479
Peter, have you been keeping up with Ardbeg’s experience with the 205D in that thread?
Sorta/kinda. I tend not to closely follow headphones, amps or DACs I couldn't possibly fit in my systems (or afford). The Aegis & 205D are in that camp....

Still, when Zach & I talked about loaners during CanJam NYC and he mentioned the ZMF Aegis, my mind was thinking, "No way!" and my mouth was saying, "Hell, yeah, I'll take that loaner!" Not a question of multiple personalities--just one with unexpected partitions.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #1,475 of 1,479

This is the exact comparison I’ve been waiting for. I was all set to buy an HP8 later this year. I got a little distracted when I found out the Tuba was being discontinued so I had to scratch that itch first, but at less than half the price, I don’t expect it to be quite in the same league as the HP8. I’m sure I can find a place for it here somewhere. (Can you really ever have too many amps?)
I have a feeling even if I splurged on an Aegis now, I would always wonder what I missed out on with the HP8. I’m trying very hard to follow a more reasonable progression. Some of you have decades on me in the head-fi world, it’s silly to cheat myself out of the journey by going too far too fast. And part of me still wants to build my own Aegis, and add speaker terminals. It’s all so very exciting.

Waiting with bated breath.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,476 of 1,479
(Can you really ever have too many amps?)
Well ... no.*

*Unless loan sharks are chasing you w/baseball bats 'cause you spent too much, or you're tripping over amps as you walk through the house (on crutches). Only then -- maybe yes.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,477 of 1,479
Sorta/kinda. I tend not to closely follow headphones, amps or DACs I couldn't possibly fit in my systems (or afford). The Aegis & 205D are in that camp....

Still, when Zach & I talked about loaners during CanJam NYC and he mentioned the ZMF Aegis, my mind was thinking, "No way!" and my mouth was saying, "Hell, yeah, I'll take that loaner!" ***Not a question of multiple personalities--just one with unexpected partitions***
*** and blurred 😵‍💫 boundaries ...

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #1,478 of 1,479
Damn, I wish I lived near Goshen NY right now. I would be offering up a case of whatever libation you fancy to join you for a couple hours. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

The HP8 and VO are, so far, my favorite listening experience, and I remain tempted by the Caldera but my CanJam audition did not convince me. I suspect it might be different if I could try it in a quiet environment with the mantle mesh and thick pads (based on what I have read).

If the Aegis thrashes the HP8, I may have to consider rearranging my whole house! And let’s remember that the Icon 205D is in a similar price ballpark. Peter, have you been keeping up with Ardbeg’s experience with the 205D in that thread?
.... I have a hunch 🤷🏻‍♂️ that a 'sonic gap' between Aegis and HP8 Signature may be narrow. Quite the comparison: @L0rdGwyn and David Shaw !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back