Introducing the SMSL SH-X Desktop Headphone Amplifier - Now Available on Apos Audio
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18
Hi all,

We’re excited to share with the community the latest launch from SMSL - The all-new SMSL SH-X Headphone Amplifier. This high-fidelity device, designed to work seamlessly with the SMSL SU-X MQA Audio DAC, delivers a robust 11.5 watts at 16Ω, ensuring that it drives even the most demanding of headphones with ease. Its 80 low-noise op-amps per channel ensure an ultra-clean sound profile, bringing every nuance of your music into sharp focus. With features like a three-way gain switch, JAS Hi-Res certification, and an HD color IPS screen, the SH-X combines technical prowess with aesthetic elegance, making it a must-have for serious audiophiles. Its compact design ensures it fits perfectly into any desktop setup, enhancing not just the sound but the look of your space.

Product highlights 
  • JAS Hi-Res certified for superior sound quality
  • Low-noise op-amp in parallel design for clarity
  • High-power output for dynamic sound delivery
  • SNR up to 137dB for detailed audio reproduction
  • Ultra-low THD+N (<0.00006%) for pure sound
  • Eighty high-power op-amps for robust amplification
  • Three-way gain switch for tailored listening
  • HD color IPS screen for visual appeal
  • Compact design, perfect for desktop setups
  • High-quality relay and non-impact sound design for stability
SH-X Desktop Headphone Amplifier.jpg

Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 18
The amp and dac stack together beautifully!

Also we're at 11.5W now? Headphone amps are getting more and more powerful each day!

Though if I were to be picky I think the naming is still a bit........ odd......... SH-X and SU-X. In my brain it just read shix and sux..... I can't be the only one here.......

Otherwise very beautifully designed stack.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 18
My HO-200 has effortlessly handled everything I've asked of it, and this unit has twice the output power. I'm betting the SH-X would drive nearfield - or hell even midfield - speakers decently.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 18
They're very good. Versatile and resolving with very little leaning towards clinical. With that said, I'm concerned about the value proposition of chi-fi if they insist on opamp-only designs.

Attachments

• SHX-SUX.jpg
    SHX-SUX.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Soon, CHI-FI headphone amplifiers will reach such power that they will/can drive loudspeaker sets.:wink:
This is a catchy marketing number in the specification - preferably given in Watts,
the more, the equipment must be better and much more expensive than the previous version.
The power in CHI-Fi devices increases in direct proportion to the trend in headphones, where their impedance is getting lower,
so that you can control them with the power of any smartphone
And be wise, as there are so many ways and each one is the best for the customer, according to the manufacturer. :relaxed:

Come to the power of the gloomy skull - power! ⚡

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 18
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 18

18v RMS out of that one too. And to think these SMSL and Topping amps are getting these kinds of power figures with $20 worth of board-mounted SMPS, while having record low noise levels. This is not a surprising amount of evolution though, given we're well into the 2020s already.

Was the problem rectified in short order?
Was the problem identified?
What was the problem?
[Thank you.]

I can't return it until after the lunar new year celebrations are done (I didn't get that one from Apos Audio).

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 18
Hi all,

We’re excited to share with the community the latest launch from SMSL - The all-new SMSL SH-X Headphone Amplifier. This high-fidelity device, designed to work seamlessly with the SMSL SU-X MQA Audio DAC, delivers a robust 11.5 watts at 16Ω, ensuring that it drives even the most demanding of headphones with ease. Its 80 low-noise op-amps per channel ensure an ultra-clean sound profile, bringing every nuance of your music into sharp focus. With features like a three-way gain switch, JAS Hi-Res certification, and an HD color IPS screen, the SH-X combines technical prowess with aesthetic elegance, making it a must-have for serious audiophiles. Its compact design ensures it fits perfectly into any desktop setup, enhancing not just the sound but the look of your space.

Product highlights 
  • JAS Hi-Res certified for superior sound quality
  • Low-noise op-amp in parallel design for clarity
  • High-power output for dynamic sound delivery
  • SNR up to 137dB for detailed audio reproduction
  • Ultra-low THD+N (<0.00006%) for pure sound
  • Eighty high-power op-amps for robust amplification
  • Three-way gain switch for tailored listening
  • HD color IPS screen for visual appeal
  • Compact design, perfect for desktop setups
  • High-quality relay and non-impact sound design for stability
SH-X Desktop Headphone Amplifier.jpg
single 3 Pin Balanced XLR output for Balanced Stereo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back