K1000 vs OmegaII
Apr 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 27
I would take the K1000 (which I have owned) and a good integrated amp (unlimited choices) over the 02/KGSS pairing. Not even close.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K1000s are not a match for any of the electrostatic headphone setups I have heard. In the end, they're still dynamic, and have all of the same flaws and drawbacks. They're still quite good though.

But I'd rather take the O2.

To me, K1K and OII are basically about the same distance away from the absolute dead neutral, except in opposite directions. One has to create and tune a system to compensate for the respective "tendencies."

I was hoping OII MkII would veer more towards the middle, but apparently, MkII is even more bass-centric..

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, K1K and OII are basically about the same distance away from the absolute dead neutral, except in opposite directions. One has to create and tune a system to compensate for the respective "tendencies."

I was hoping OII MkII would veer more towards the middle, but apparently, MkII is even more bass-centric..

Well, I wasn't talking about frequency response so much as I was talking about detail resolution and transient response. As good as it is, the K1000 still has a relatively thick diaphragm, attached to a coil of wire on one end and a surround on the other. Certainly, it will never be able to move as quickly as an ultra-thin mylar membrane that is connected to nothing.

And not only that, but the electrostatic driver will inherently have less distortion as well...

May 31, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having heard both of them in 2 different setups :

CEC TL51XR > Stax SRM-717 > Stax Omega II

Lavry DA10 > DIY Pass Aleph > AKG K1000

I can say that I would choose the OII over the K1000 here but that's not quite fair since the Stax setup is more expensive. I don't know how would the Omega II behave with a lesser source than the CEC but I believe that they're really source AND amp dependent, very sensitive to every upstream components. The K1000 is kinda like that too but it isn't as refined as the Stax, they're too much distant for me, lacking some body and bass, which the OII, don't lack at all and that's quite a feat for a stat if you ask me. The Stax grabs you smoothly while the AKG let's you fly in the air at a cost.

Hope it helps, I can't comment any further cause I don't own any of these and only had so little time to audition each cans.

My vote goes for a KGSS + OII setup !

I have had the pleasure of owning both of these systems:

AKG K1000s with Stefan Audioarts Equinox Hardwire and FirstWatt F1 amp
and
Stax Omega IIs driven by KGSS

I found both of these to be highly dependent on amplification AND cabling and that one should not compare them until adequate amplification and cabling are provided. After extensive listening and comparison, I found the K1000s/Equinox/F1 combination to be the clear winner for detail, air, resolution, bass and soundstage. The Omega/KGSS combination had lots of detail, but never the realism and presence of the K1000/Equinox/F1.

I ended up selling the Stax Omega II/KGSS system and still enjoy the K1000/Equinox/F1 every day. I listen to Jazz vocal and instrumental and Classical chamber and instrumental.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 27
I had the O2’s and was completely un-impressed with them. I didn’t bother finishing the CD.

The K1000’s I had were impressive stock and gave a peak at what they were capable of. I think with a little effort a person could build a truly World Class system around the K1000 at a Head-Fi rated “Reasonable” price.

For $3K you could build a nice K1000 rig. The O2’s will cost sustainably more and I doubt achieve the same level of performance.

Mitch

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #23 of 27
The Omega II is amazing with vocals but has a narrow soundstage like the Lambda. I think Sigmas are better for classical. The K1000 is a great headphone too but not as warm sounding as the OII. The K1000 soundstage is more like the Sigma but better defined. All of them are top notch earspeakers.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 27
I heard K1000 a few times with different amps at a friends house, never heard O2, but I would take SR-Sigma over K1000 any day. K1000 just did not impress me at all.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #25 of 27
Eh... I prefer the O2. The K1k's presentation is spectacular in some ways (soundstage mainly) but fails utterly in other ways (bass depth), and as much as I may like some aspects of its sound it still has problems, and in a world-class system problems are unacceptable. The O2 may not have as stunning a soundstage, nor is it as impactful, but it is considerably more refined and more well-rounded, with better resolution (the K1k makes its detail more readily audible but the O2 resolves more microdetail), better harmonic richness (the K1k is definitely lean-sounding by comparison), faster impulse response, and a more coherent sonic picture overall.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #26 of 27
i've never been that impressed with the K1000 and have listened to it in many different setups - some close to top notch. i much prefer the O2.

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #27 of 27
I heard the K1000 with Woo Audio WA5 and they were awesome - spectacular for classical and wasn't too bad with rock either. If I budget allowed, I'd get a K1000 rig as well but I haven't heard a dynamic can (haven't heard the 010) that can match the O2 in terms of detail and resolution - my top priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back