L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #6,798 of 6,805
Layout and chassis plans are maybe 80% done. Still waiting on the Simpson meters
Which Simpson meters are you waiting on? NOS or new production Simpson meters?

Just curious, because I will be using a pair of NOS Simpson meters in my current build .. they aren't flashy at all but I love their look, and they also are quite small so they won't require much real estate which is nice. I have tested them and they are very accurate (practically speaking when measuring alongside a DMM), surprised me how accurate.

1714160994493.png

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #6,799 of 6,805
Which Simpson meters are you waiting on? NOS or new production Simpson meters?

Just curious, because I will be using a pair of NOS Simpson meters in my current build .. they aren't flashy at all but I love their look, and they also are quite small so they won't require much real estate which is nice. I have tested them and they are very accurate (practically speaking when measuring alongside a DMM), surprised me how accurate.

1714160994493.png

Those look cool. I use new production Simpson meters.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #6,800 of 6,805
Another thing you could try with a dual triode that accomplishes similar goals to a mu follower is an SRPP stage.
I gave this a try today and found that I like the mu follower quite a bit more.

However, I have many parts on their way from DigiKey and Mouser which include BJTs and MOSFETs and will be giving the SS CCS solutions a try this coming week. The main obvious advantage here would be dropping the need for the 2nd triode, which is expensive (relatively speaking ofc) and no loss of the B+ voltage.

I am wondering if I will even hear much of a difference if I am not running the triodes very hard in the first place.. guess we will see.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #6,801 of 6,805
I gave this a try today and found that I like the mu follower quite a bit more.

However, I have many parts on their way from DigiKey and Mouser which include BJTs and MOSFETs and will be giving the SS CCS solutions a try this coming week. The main obvious advantage here would be dropping the need for the 2nd triode, which is expensive (relatively speaking ofc) and no loss of the B+ voltage.

I am wondering if I will even hear much of a difference if I am not running the triodes very hard in the first place.. guess we will see.

I've never done a head-to-head, but the transistor CCS from a technical standpoint is superior. Whether or not that translates into better sound I can't say. From a complexity standpoint though, the transistor wins big time.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #6,802 of 6,805
I've never done a head-to-head, but the transistor CCS from a technical standpoint is superior. Whether or not that translates into better sound I can't say. From a complexity standpoint though, the transistor wins big time.
Yes, ofc, like nearly all (maybe all) SS versus valve solutions are technically superior, the better sound thing is the question.

Hmm, well this gives me an idea of how I can compare the two sound wise efficiently. My current prototype setup has a 3rd octal socket sitting in the middle of the two required for the mu follower, so guess I will build the SS CCS solution on that socket since we get to drop 2 triodes, and then I should just be able to unclip/clip a few of those alligators to switch between the two very quickly.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #6,803 of 6,805
Reminds me, have you ever tried the B-Follower which still requires two triodes but replaces the cathode bias resistor on the CCS top triode with a BJT.. this also removes the need for the input coupling cap of traditional mu follower, or is my understanding. I am also going to give this a try.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #6,805 of 6,805
Did some testing today to see if my heater regulator is happy on top of a DC lift, all looks good, so we can move forward :) think I have everything I need to finalize chassis plans, just gotta sit down for a couple hours and design one last PCB and knock out the last chassis details in AutoCAD.

Listening to some tunes on the two-channel setup. Got my EAD DSP-7000 back from Noble Electronics, recapped, new output op amps, and some other little modifications. Burning this baby in.

PXL_20240425_235709154.NIGHT-2.jpg
Looks killer Keenan!

Those thoriated tungsten filaments have to be the best tube glow....ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back