My Little More Power review, FINALLY!!!
Aug 26, 2001 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my Little More Power (B stock) from Headroom, I've been testing it for 20 hours, trying different kinds of music with my Panasonic Discman SL-SW870, the Straightwire mini to RCA cable and my Grados SR325. I could only compare it with my beloved Total Airhead, and even though I always believed that I was not going to be able to appreciate any audible difference due the efficiency of my Grados, I can tell you that I was so wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all this mint condition amp, including a power supply (with Toroidal transformer) which is twice!! the size of the amp!!! has a beautiful aluminium enclosure that gives you the feel of a classy amp.......not the cheap plastic box that I was getting used to......
The Straightwire mini to RCA cable even though feels a little rigid looks nice and feels great too.

I starting listening some latin progressive rock, then hard rock and contemporary jazz.... and what stroke me the most was that I had to turn the potenciometer (7PM TO 5AM) to 2AM to listen a good volume, and I don't really enjoy it too loud....... it seems that the amp's input is a little low because a lot of people love to use home cd player instead portable ones..... and I thought, wow it will start to distort......but no way.....I think this is one of the reasons the More Supply is worth (It supplies +-15volts directly with NO internal converters.......... you can turn the volume all the way up, and even though is TOO LOUD!!! it won't distort......like regular amps with regular power supplies. And now it comes the question......Is it possible to drive a 300 ohms headphones like Sennheiser 580-600 NICELY with the Little More Power amp using a DISCMAN as the source? I don't think so...... unless you have a gain switch ( the new amps have it).....IMHO

Do you want to know where is the difference between the TA and Little MP? well.... here it is !!!
biggrin.gif
. The bass goes deeper and deeper tha really makes you shake your teeth....its clarity is outstanding and the soundstage expands a bit, even with the efficient Grados.........the refined highs are as smooth as the TA's..........and the HIGH PASS filter is just painful!!!! I don't really think that someone with Grados is EVER going to turn it ON!!!......That's why most of the new Headroom amps have three High pass filter settings....... I mean the only music that I enjoyed with this filter on was acoustic guitar music and some classical.....of course, WITH NO cymbals at all
wink.gif
. The mids make you feel that you have an internal center speaker, they are sweet an defined, I just love them.

A very special mention to the Headroom Crosfeed filter, I just can't live without it, it works amazingly adding a little mid bass boost to the music plus the known effect that makes you listen the music from your brain, not the headphones.

I haven't really found any reviews of this excellent amp, and believe me, it's sad because it's great and it's built for a great company with an unsurpassable consumer service......they did EVERYTHING, the UNTHINKABLE to send me this amp to my homeland Colombia, and they'll never know how much I appreciate it.

What else can I tell you?, get it while you can, It's not expensive and I agree with Headroom, "For the money, you can't go wrong with this combination"
wink.gif
pd. Sorry for my
frown.gif
english.......

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by mariowar
Sorry for my
frown.gif
english.......

Hey don't worry about it! Nothing wrong with your english as far as I could see, and I have seen some english FAR worse than yours on other boards *shudders*

Nice review as well.......

Aug 26, 2001 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Based on my experience with the standard Little (old version, B-Stock) I have to agree. I ended up buying it for roughly the same price as a new Total Airhead, but the difference in quality is day and night. I can't attribute it to any individual things since I sent the TA back very soon, but if you look for an affordable amp with crossfeed, you should consider the Little (Although I haven't heard the Creek, I guess one could always build a cheap DIY Meier Crossfeed). However, I agree, while the Little is enough for me to drive my AKG 501s, people that love it really loud may have a problem. But if you are thinking of buying the TA for the money, not the portability, you may want to consider a B-Stock Little.

Legoman

Aug 26, 2001 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm using a Little (plain ol' base unit). And I agree, it definitely adds to the bass on my SR-325's. I didn't notice any improvement in the highs or the mids (but I don't have the More/More Power option either).

One bad thing I have noticed about the crossfeed is that with my new DAC, the crossfeed sounds horrible. It "muddies" up the sound. And turning on the High Pass filter makes it unbareably shrill sounding.
confused.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

.....and even though I always believed that I was not going to be able to appreciate any audible difference due the efficiency of my Grados, I can tell you that I was so wrong.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Do u remember a little conv. we had a while ago about that?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
j/k

I'm glad you've got a good-sounding setup that you are lovin. Enjoy!

Aug 26, 2001 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm glad you're enjoying your new amp, MarioWar. Thanks for keeping me "in the loop".

I'll tell you, the headphone amp I use mostly for my radio production work is the headphone section of a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 (table radio). Don't laugh if you haven't heard it! It sounds FANTASTIC with the output of the soundcard from my computer workstation, and with all of the heaphones I use with it (Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD-580, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro, etc.)

I'm sure I could do better (for headphone amplification). But the sound I get is so damn good there's just no urgency! Others have raved too (elsewhere) about the astounding quality of the Model 88 as an fm tuner (I also use it for that, to record "A Prarie Home Companion" broadcasts to my computer's hard drive), and as a headphone amplifier (as well as an AMAZING sounding piece of small audio gear. It has real bass "wallup" with it's built-in subwoofer, despite the fact that it's no bigger than an average table radio! In my opinion, and others, it is VASTLY better than the "Bose Table Radio" that so many rave about (ever heard the Model 88, Paul Harvey? If so, maybe you'd shut the hell up about the Bose!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back