New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
May 2, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,066 of 1,073
The first obvious change is that it is easier and more stable to wear, and less hot.

This is interesting. For me, when I owning the iO-16 several years ago, their earpads, exactly the same size and shape like the earpads of the B&O H9 and H7, are a little small for my ears and I always needing pushing the top part of both ears inside the earpads -- I think this is the obvious reason why Dali and B&O changing their earpads shapes for the iO-12 and H95 models, for fitting more people's ears. The round earpads looking better from design perspective but aren't good for a more large proportion of people's ears. About stability, you mentioning before your more small (than average?) ears size. The iO-12's earpads, by the way, are giving me more stability than any others BT/ANC headphones, one aspect that I absolutely love about the Dalis. But, of course, this is always personal.

Is also curious that for you the iO-12 making your ears more hot. For me, like with the majority of not genuine leather earpads, the iO-6's earpads (that having artificial leather) making my ears hot very soon, and this isn't happening with the iO-12's genuine leather earpads. Of course this is only my own experience and not necessarily applicable for everybody.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,067 of 1,073
This is interesting. For me, when I owning the iO-16 several years ago, their earpads, exactly the same size and shape like the earpads of the B&O H9 and H7, are a little small for my ears and I always needing pushing the top part of both ears inside the earpads -- I think this is the obvious reason why Dali and B&O changing their earpads shapes for the iO-12 and H95 models, for fitting more people's ears. The round earpads looking better from design perspective but aren't good for a more large proportion of people's ears.

Is also curious that for you the iO-12 making your ears more hot. For me, like with the majority of not genuine leather earpads, the iO-6's earpads (that having artificial leather) making my ears hot very soon, and this isn't happening with the iO-12's genuine leather earpads. Of course this is only my own experience and not necessarily applicable for everybody.
I’m actually with you on this, both the generous size/clamping force and real leather construction of the iO-12’s pads means I find them to be the coolest of all the high end ANC headphones. By contrast my PX8’s get much hotter on my head.

May 2, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #1,068 of 1,073
I also agree that the Dali's stay relatively cool with their stock ear pads, at least to me. However, reduction in bulk cannot be understated. I would love to try IO-6 earpads with real leather on these.

May 2, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,069 of 1,073
All right, I just got my second pair of these courtesy of my friend with sizable sports gambling debts. Lucky me, lol and I’ve been just playing back-and-forth with them and my PX8’s and uhhhh okay I was wrong

Yeah, these have a different level of clarity. OK sure you lose some of that thump but I mean it’s not the end of the world with the amount of clarity you get in return. Voices are just so freaking crystal clear.

However, the thing surprised me the most, and this might just be because I have a gigantic… These are so much more comfortable on my head. The clamping force is so much less and I can leave these on for so much longer.

May 3, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,070 of 1,073
Lucky me, lol and I’ve been just playing back-and-forth with them and my PX8’s and uhhhh okay I was wrong

Yeah, these have a different level of clarity. OK sure you lose some of that thump but I mean it’s not the end of the world with the amount of clarity you get in return. Voices are just so freaking crystal clear.

I think that if, in your case (or people with similar preferences) you sometimes feeling that you wanting more "thump" in the iO-12, then activating "bass" mode is a good option.

I really think that even when the "bass" mode is adding more bass, the bass is NOT exaggerated in this mode (like the bass setting in the app of the Solitaire T, for example) and a big part of the clarity in the mids and treble is still there. Different albums have different recording /mastering qualities and sometimes that "bass" setting is appropriate.

I think that Dali doing a very good job deciding how much more quantity of bass (amplitude) the "bass" setting is have, so that the bass in some albums is still falling in an acceptable audiophile territory. BUT, for me, having the "bass" setting and ANC On is adding even more bass (double bass lift, in fact) than is acceptable and, in this case, is not falling anymore in 'audiophile' territory.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,071 of 1,073
I think that if, in your case (or people with similar preferences) you sometimes feeling that you wanting more "thump" in the iO-12, then activating "bass" mode is a good option.

I really think that even when the "bass" mode is adding more bass, the bass is NOT exaggerated in this mode (like the bass setting in the app of the Solitaire T, for example) and a big part of the clarity in the mids and treble is still there. Different albums have different recording /mastering qualities and sometimes that "bass" setting is appropriate.

I think that Dali doing a very good job deciding how much more quantity of bass (amplitude) the "bass" setting is have, so that the bass in some albums is still falling in an acceptable audiophile territory. BUT, for me, having the "bass" setting and ANC On is adding even more bass (double bass lift, in fact) than is acceptable and, in this case, is not falling anymore in 'audiophile' territory.
I’ve played around with it both ways. After a few more hours of listening I prefer the Hifi and ANC on. Plenty of bass, just not exaggerated. I’m realizing what I missed in the mids and higher end by wanting that PX8 thump.

May 3, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,072 of 1,073

May 4, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #1,073 of 1,073
@mcook1970 am curious if you’ve discovered any new fun things about the Dalis after a few more days with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back