Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #1,726 of 1,729
Exactly. I don't understand people complaining about weird noise of the volume pot. It’s normal for this technology like it was mentioned thousand of times. It’s like complaining that You bought a sport car with v8 engine and it consume a lot of fuel… it’s even better. Violectric knowing that some of people don’t like a resistor ladder sound have created a non pro version of their top of the line product to better fit customer needs. I don’t get it. You don’t like US 5 pro sound. Go ahead and buy non pro version. It is win-win situation and still people are complaining…
@Qna89 comparing two products with similar functionality is not complaining - this actually the main topic on this site: comparison with other products. I like your analogy with V8 engines - just had to change oil in mine and it was expensive but nobody is complaining, yet saying that other cars with smaller engines are cheaper in servicing is not complaining either: it is just stating a fact.

At the same time there is nothing wrong with accepting the limitations or drawbacks of particular product. I have nothing agains people who are happy with scratching sounds during volume pot movement. Personally I think that at this price level it is not acceptable, but I do understand that for others it is perfectly fine, however not letting know about it potential customers who are browsing this forum wouldn't be fair - don't you think? Somehow most "reviewers" skip this part in their description. Wish it was the other way around, but it is not unfortunately. Another issue is how many amps one have heard before selecting particular one, and did he/she had a chance to do a comparison side-by-side and even better in his system.

Nothing wrong here as long as everyone is enjoying their music while listening with their favorit head amp :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #1,727 of 1,729
@Qna89 comparing two products with similar functionality is not complaining - this actually the main topic on this site: comparison with other products. I like your analogy with V8 engines - just had to change oil in mine and it was expensive but nobody is complaining, yet saying that other cars with smaller engines are cheaper in servicing is not complaining either: it is just stating a fact.
Sure but if You have the same car, I mean same model, with the same specs but one is with diesel engine and another one is petrol or even hybrid, doesn’t matter. Same power. You have the choice. If You pick petrol engine, You have different technology and if You are aware of that, You will know those to engines have their pros and cons but You still have a choice :) and if someone read this tread they will know that pro and non-pro version has their pros and cons either… You can pick one that suits You better :wink: just like solid state amps and tube amps, but in this case manufacturer provide You same totl amp with the same specs but with different volume pot. You can love one and hate the other solution but stop complaining that Violectric cant change how the technology works. It’s like saying that I love diesel engines but still complain that manufacturer didn’t change that it does not work on petrol. Just pick the v8 and You are good to go :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #1,728 of 1,729
Sure but if You have the same car, I mean same model, with the same specs but one is with diesel engine and another one is petrol or even hybrid, doesn’t matter. Same power. You have the choice. If You pick petrol engine, You have different technology and if You are aware of that, You will know those to engines have their pros and cons but You still have a choice :) and if someone read this tread they will know that pro and non-pro version has their pros and cons either… You can pick one that suits You better :wink: just like solid state amps and tube amps, but in this case manufacturer provide You same totl amp with the same specs but with different volume pot. You can love one and hate the other solution but stop complaining that Violectric cant change how the technology works. It’s like saying that I love diesel engines but still complain that manufacturer didn’t change that it does not work on petrol. Just pick the v8 and You are good to go :)
@Qna89 I'm sorry but you've missed my point. I feel that your engine analogy is also reaching a bit too far and hence is a bit stretched at the best case scenario. Anyway as I've said earlier: enjoy music on the amp you like most. This is what really counts.

If you want to do a research homework just for fun - go to a nearest car dealer and get 2 cars with same (or quite similar) specs on paper and different engines, transmission etc. Ride each one for at least a day and tell us that specs are everything and your feelings about the differences in handling doesn't count. Some would say that car specs are similar to ASR reviews in a way but I do not want to follow this path which in my opinion leads to nowhere.

I get the impression you think somebody is bashing Niimbus or Violectric but let me repeat one more time: comparing is not bashing. If you reverse it: if you compare Niimbus to another amp brand and tell everyone here that Niimbus has been better does it mean you are bashing the other manufacture or its product? No, not at all.

To keep my post on topic: I can understand why people like Niimbus with Abyss headphones and at the same time I do not understand the idea behind Abyss and their tuning thus I might not be heavily impressed by sound of Niimbus either contrary to others.

In fact the cans I like most are T+A Solitaire P-SE and they are great with multiple amps (haven't heard them with Niimbus TBH) giving me a lot of freedom in amp choice. I find HA200 and other amps superior to Niimbus comparing price performance, functionality and cans I use. Still others may find the other way around :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,729 of 1,729
If you want to do a research homework just for fun - go to a nearest car dealer and get 2 cars with same (or quite similar) specs on paper and different engines, transmission etc. Ride each one for at least a day and tell us that specs are everything and your feelings about the differences in handling doesn't count. Some would say that car specs are similar to ASR reviews in a way but I do not want to follow this path which in my opinion leads to nowhere.

That’s exactly what I meant. They use different technology that’s why they will be different…

I find HA200 and other amps superior to Niimbus comparing price performance, functionality and cans I use. Still others may find the other way around

Exactly for a second time. For the same reasons I consider Niimbus better. But it is my private opinion and Your can differ. It is a matter of choice and private preferences.

My point is that if You buy Ha200 and You still complain it does not sound like Niimbus. This would be odd for me. Just like You buy SS amp and complain it does not sound like a Tube amp… And back to beginning - if You don’t like resistor ladder cracking don’t buy it. Buy non pro with normal potentiometer and the crackling sound will magical I go away :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back