Portable amp and dac for Sennheiser HD 600
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

csk32200

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked millions of times before, but I still feel the need to ask before spending on it.

I have HD600 and I use it with a portable music player. (Not a phone). The quality is amazing but the sound is very weak. I'm looking to buy a portable amp and dac to make it louder and stronger. My budget is 100$ to 200$.

Any suggestion or opinions will be welcome,
thank you.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked millions of times before, but I still feel the need to ask before spending on it.

I have HD600 and I use it with a portable music player. (Not a phone). The quality is amazing but the sound is very weak. I'm looking to buy a portable amp and dac to make it louder and stronger. My budget is 100$ to 200$.

Any suggestion or opinions will be welcome,
thank you.

You can read about the Fiio KA17.

This has 650 mW output on balanced 4.4mm desktop mode, which can drive most stuff out there other than outliers. However, the desktop mode does burn battery and heat up the dongle, so there is a 2nd USB C port for powering it should you wish to feed more power.

The KA17 also has PEQ on Android (Fiio Control App), not for Apple users though. But if you are an Android user and play with PEQ, the KA17 can be tuned to any tonality you wish for, so it is very versatile as such.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 8
You can read about the Fiio KA17.

This has 650 mW output on balanced 4.4mm desktop mode, which can drive most stuff out there other than outliers. However, the desktop mode does burn battery and heat up the dongle, so there is a 2nd USB C port for powering it should you wish to feed more power.

The KA17 also has PEQ on Android (Fiio Control App), not for Apple users though. But if you are an Android user and play with PEQ, the KA17 can be tuned to any tonality you wish for, so it is very versatile as such.

Thank you.

Another person also recommend it to me, I'm a bit afraid to buy it since its new and I'm wondering if i'm just falling for the new hype.

Do you think there are any other amps/dacs I should read and research?

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 8
I used my HD600 w/zmf pads with my hiby rs6 DAP, the HiBy FC6, and my cayin ru7 and all had plenty of power and also sounded really good. For the hd600 specifically, if you can swing an R2R dac in a portable solution i would lean towards it. I did also like the btr7 with it, but i found i had to keep switching eq per genre to get it to sound good and i thought that was annoying.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you.

Another person also recommend it to me, I'm a bit afraid to buy it since its new and I'm wondering if i'm just falling for the new hype.

Do you think there are any other amps/dacs I should read and research?

There is a cheaper prequel to the KA17, called the KA13.

It doesn't have PEQ but has 550 mW output on desktop mode 4.4 mm which is still quite solid. Half the price of the KA17.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Ifi Go blu with bluetooth is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back