PortaPro vs PX100 Poll
Oct 14, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old PX100's (orange markings on the box) were comparable soundwise to KPP. New PX100 have some sound weaknesses improved (better treble, wider and more straightforward soundstage) so it makes them overall slightly better sounding.
When the ergonomics are discussed, KPP lose all the way. The PX100's headband is equally easy to extend and shorten. Porta Pro's don't like to be extended. When you wear them on the neck, it's self-clenching, plus you cannot turn the transducers to lie flat over your chest. The last thing is the PX100's plastic case. It's a very nice gadget! When you place the headphones into the case, or take them out, it's a so damn cool ritual!
rolleyes.gif
Almost like setting up a vinyl recording to play.
rs1smile.gif

So you're saying to stay away from purchasing these because the orange markings are telling of inferior quality?

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 24
PX100s are rather mellow - better for jazz, symphony but it is not bad with rock , KPP are rather better with music that needs speed, punch - of course bass is not proper - it is flabby but they are rather on warm side - and it is nice to listen to them. About comfort - I couldn't make any complaints with KPP and PX100.
On the one hand Kosses are done for effect, are more impressive, when you listen to them for the first time. On the other hand the more you use Sennheisers the more happy with your choice you can be. It is the way you could appreciate some 'music flavours' which KPPs missing.
I think there are very good for what they are ...but I just prefer iGrado to them.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 24
Yes, the PX-100 is a superior mechanical design. Honestly, though, I don't feel like solving a puzzle box every time I take out a pair of headphones or put them back.

I had the old PX-100's, so I suppose that invalidates my vote, but one of the worst sounding, sibilant phones I ever had. I think the KSC75 is better than the PortaPro, but with a good amp (it tightens up the bass), the PortaPro can slam with the best of them - besting many phones costing $hundreds more.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the PX-100 is a superior mechanical design. Honestly, though, I don't feel like solving a puzzle box every time I take out a pair of headphones or put them back.

I had the old PX-100's, so I suppose that invalidates my vote, but one of the worst sounding, sibilant phones I ever had. I think the KSC75 is better than the PortaPro, but with a good amp (it tightens up the bass), the PortaPro can slam with the best of them - besting many phones costing $hundreds more.

Check out the picture of the PX100 I have attached and tell me if they're the older, inferior version.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nosleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the picture of the PX100 I have attached and tell me if they're the older, inferior version.

That's the older version, but I'm not sure if I ever bought into the story about two versions. As far as Sennheiser would confirm, it was two different boxes, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back