PX100 - Current and Former Owners Vote Their Experience
Aug 30, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 30
I voted "unamped, regular/stock pads, and great to amazing" (although I'd characterize it as very pleasing and an excellent value for several types of listening). I wouldn't master an album with them, but these hit a sweet spot for popular, non-critical usage.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 30
I like the PX100 I bought refurbished for $17 on ebay, but the left ear-piece kept falling off right from the start. It wouldn't go back on and stay, so I had to hot-glue it in place. Now the right one is falling off all the time, and the left isn't as comfortable because the glue job is 1mm off from the right position. I liked them enough to buy another pair for $19 (shipped $26), but I am afraid to use them in case they'll fall apart too. The PX100 sound pretty good to me, with some coloration in the upper mids though - the bass seems to be nicely extended for an open ear headphone.

I also got some PMX100 for about the same price, which are a behind the neck headset, and they don't sound anything like the PX100, and wonder if I got a bad pair of PMX100. Also, the earpiece attachment point seems just as flimsey as the PX100 that fell apart.

So, is this a typical problem for the earpieces to pop off the head band so easily? I love how my iGrado are built like a tank (and sound better), but I don't like the two wire cord running to both earpieces. I was going to use these in the car or shopping, when I need to be able to hear what is going on around me.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the PX100 I bought refurbished for $17 on ebay, but the left ear-piece kept falling off right from the start. It wouldn't go back on and stay, so I had to hot-glue it in place. Now the right one is falling off all the time, and the left isn't as comfortable because the glue job is 1mm off from the right position. I liked them enough to buy another pair for $19 (shipped $26), but I am afraid to use them in case they'll fall apart too. The PX100 sound pretty good to me, with some coloration in the upper mids though - the bass seems to be nicely extended for an open ear headphone.

I also got some PMX100 for about the same price, which are a behind the neck headset, and they don't sound anything like the PX100, and wonder if I got a bad pair of PMX100. Also, the earpiece attachment point seems just as flimsey as the PX100 that fell apart.

So, is this a typical problem for the earpieces to pop off the head band so easily? I love how my iGrado are built like a tank (and sound better), but I don't like the two wire cord running to both earpieces. I was going to use these in the car or shopping, when I need to be able to hear what is going on around me.

My bet is the PX100 you got is fake. I have both and the sound identical. I've had the PX100 for over a year and have had no problems with them, and I'm hard on them.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 30
The PX100 came in a plain sealed anti-static bag with a sticker that looked like it was from Sennheiser. $17 and about $25 shipped, which is quite cheap for this model.

The PMX100 came from a different ebay vendor in a real Sennheiser plastic carton for about $35 shipped which is less of a discount ($45 at target.com).

I am out a lunch with the PMX100 right now which I believe to be the real thing, and they don't come apart either
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 30
i also have PMX100, the speakers came the same, except the arch goes behind the neck insted of overhead, and they are "carbon fibre" colored (grid gray)

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 30
x2 on the white PX100s. I can't believe how nice they sound. I've read about them for years, and now I know why they got such good ratings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few weeks ago I bought a set of the white PX100. I wasn't prepared for sound this good. I can't believe I have been suffering for years with various Apple & Sony headphones and earbuds. The best I had previously were Sony E888 earbuds, back when they were available and not counterfeit. I have literally went through several hundred dollars worth of various $50 or less headphones and thought it was good enough. I was wrong.

It sounds cliche, but I am really am hearing things in CDs that I have never heard before. CDs I have owned for 10 years and listened to hundreds of times.

The bass extension on the PX100 is amazing. I am not sure it goes down to 15hz as Sennheiser claims, but it definitely goes down pretty damn low.

Even while I am riding around on my bike with the wind in my ears, the sound comes through loud and clear, via my 5.5G iPod. I also use them when listening to iTunes on my computer.

Yesterday, I bought a set of the black PX100 to use with my PSOne & LCD Combo. They are perfect for this due to the hard carrying case, which allows me to keep them in the PSOne carrying case without worry.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bet is the PX100 you got is fake. I have both and the sound identical. I've had the PX100 for over a year and have had no problems with them, and I'm hard on them.

The seller is no longer a member of ebay...

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #27 of 30
Well, after 5 straight hours of listening to the real PMX100 I think I like them better than my iGrado... They can hold their own vs IEM costing 3-4 times as much.

The iGrado seem to do their best with Rock, and then and Jazz; the PMX100 do well with those and they classical to the list of well reproduced.

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #28 of 30
I just got some 2nd hand PX100's. I also have some HD414's Stock & Quarter Mod'ed, both dyed black.

With the stock PX100's pads, I did notice the infamous "veil". Stock & Quarter Mod'ed HD414, the veil was virtually not there...but a a big cost! The bass was very Very VERY unrefined. It almost sounded like the headphones were blown, or much like a old car/house speaker sounds when the rubber/foam surround deteriorates away.

My PX100's also came with spare pads, so I Mod'ed one set of my PX100 pads. I'll have to listen them some more. I didn't hear much of a difference as I did with either HD414 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back