RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #1,036 of 1,049
The SC2 and Star8 cables are impedance matched with the headphones so that you get the full frequency response. If the impedance of your cable is too high you will experience roll-off of the high frequencies.
This my cable is -15 db for the whole FR. I wonder if the cable for SR-1a sounds this much quiter with CA-1a or could this quieter cable be for Rossos Rad-o. In ebay sellers picture these seem to look identical. Ain't the same SC2-cable the basic cable for SR-1a and CA-1a?
This seems to be a tough one to figure out from net sites.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #1,037 of 1,049
This my cable is -15 db for the whole FR. I wonder if the cable for SR-1a sounds this much quiter with CA-1a or could this quieter cable be for Rossos Rad-o. In ebay sellers picture these seem to look identical. Ain't the same SC2-cable the basic cable for SR-1a and CA-1a?
This seems to be a tough one to figure out from net sites.
The SC2 cable works perfectly with both the SR-1a and the CA-1a. The CA-1a requires less power to drive it than the SR-1a and so should sound louder than the SR-1a when the amplifier is set to the same volume level. But -15dB is way too much of a difference.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #1,038 of 1,049
The SC2 cable works perfectly with both the SR-1a and the CA-1a. The CA-1a requires less power to drive it than the SR-1a and so should sound louder than the SR-1a when the amplifier is set to the same volume level. But -15dB is way too much of a difference.
Thanks. Quite a strange thing. I Have to try this "quiet cable" with JotR, when I get from the service. Luckily it's possible to return this cable.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #1,039 of 1,049
I did prefer the closed pads with Mitch filter. The sound signature with closed pads & Mitch filter reminds of Valkyria. Yes it’s not as open sounding as the open pads, but the overall “smoother” presentation is quite appealing to me. Having said that, now I’m back with open pads + filter (maybe after almost 2 years) and having a blast 😁
Well now I'm back with donut pads, and yeah I still prefer the fuller sound of the donuts. I found that on my chain, they do not sacrifice too much clarity, and still sound very very transparent indeed.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #1,040 of 1,049
Just wondering about something, can you plug say a Susvara into the T1-1b or is that a bad idea? Not willing to try it without knowing but I was curious because I noticed on a specific amp the Ca1a sounds so much better than Susvara on the same secondary system amp, thought maybe there is something going on synergy wise with ca1a with its T1-1b and 3xp. I've never heard such a 3d sound with these

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #1,041 of 1,049
Just wondering about something, can you plug say a Susvara into the T1-1b or is that a bad idea? Not willing to try it without knowing but I was curious because I noticed on a specific amp the Ca1a sounds so much better than Susvara on the same secondary system amp, thought maybe there is something going on synergy wise with ca1a with its T1-1b and 3xp. I've never heard such a 3d sound with these
Ti-1b only transforms the very very low impedance of Ca-1a to usable with amps made for normal headphones. Ca-1a uses 4 pin female xlr cable to Ti-b1 male xlr to prevent wrong connections. You should not try to connect Susvara to Ti-b1!

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #1,042 of 1,049
That is a bit odd because you can directly connect Susvara/tungsten etc to the ribbon output on a HSA-1b, it comes with the cable to do it and is suggested in the manual; but i dont think the VM-1a supports it. With enough willpower and free time I'm sure someone will test it :o2smile:. I've seen someone run CA-1a's directly from a pair of Shiit Tyr speaker taps with no box (apparently sounds good). The evil voices will prevail.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,043 of 1,049
That is a bit odd because you can directly connect Susvara/tungsten etc to the ribbon output on a HSA-1b, it comes with the cable to do it and is suggested in the manual; but i dont think the VM-1a supports it. With enough willpower and free time I'm sure someone will test it :o2smile:. I've seen someone run CA-1a's directly from a pair of Shiit Tyr speaker taps with no box (apparently sounds good). The evil voices will prevail.
I've read that a lot of Susvara users have used direct connection with adapter to loudspeaker terminals. Susvara is about 60 ohms and really unefficient while loudspeakers are usually from 4 to 8 ohms. This is a working concept. I'm not sure, but perhaps the female xlr is meant for this type of use with the banana-xlr adapter?
Concerning the "3 d soundworld" experience, I guess it's a property of Raal Ca-1a and has propably nothing to do with TI-1b transformer.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #1,044 of 1,049
I checked. Sorry, you right, there's an adapter with HSA-1b, with which you can connect Susvara or similar unefficient headphones directly to Raal connection in front panel. So the banana taps to speaker terminals ain't necessary.

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #1,045 of 1,049
I've read that a lot of Susvara users have used direct connection with adapter to loudspeaker terminals. Susvara is about 60 ohms and really unefficient while loudspeakers are usually from 4 to 8 ohms. This is a working concept. I'm not sure, but perhaps the female xlr is meant for this type of use with the banana-xlr adapter?
Concerning the "3 d soundworld" experience, I guess it's a property of Raal Ca-1a and has propably nothing to do with TI-1b transformer.

Yeah I'm still curious about this because it is by numbers underpowering the Ca1a

Yet hits hard, w/fleshed out dynamic more so than I've ever heard it before and somehow more holographic than it's ever been.

Everything is fleshed out in a way the Susvara isn't on the same amp (3xp) might be the 5v output of my dac as well or just happens to synergize very well with it. I understand it's not the highest end amp but it is giving me a high end sound with this combo / in Poweramp mode

Anyway just interesting to experience as it's renewed my love for Ca1a it's a totally new experience that's addictive to hear and makes the idea I had of selling it a thing I'll never consider again.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,046 of 1,049
Yeah I'm still curious about this because it is by numbers underpowering the Ca1a

Yet hits hard, w/fleshed out dynamic more so than I've ever heard it before and somehow more holographic than it's ever been.

Everything is fleshed out in a way the Susvara isn't on the same amp (3xp) might be the 5v output of my dac as well or just happens to synergize very well with it. I understand it's not the highest end amp but it is giving me a high end sound with this combo / in Poweramp mode

Anyway just interesting to experience as it's renewed my love for Ca1a it's a totally new experience that's addictive to hear and makes the idea I had of selling it a thing I'll never consider again.
Raal Ca-1a is really the newcomer for me, only about two weeks for listening now.
Sounds that X3p really matches better with Ca1a than Susvara, at least for your likings. For me the biggest amp surprise till now has been how well the not so effective Cayin Ha-3a tube amp works with Raal. The Mitch Barnett's filters are also quite unbelievable, especially when using Ca1a's without VM-1 or some else totl amp with Star 8 cable.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,047 of 1,049
Raal Ca-1a is really the newcomer for me, only about two weeks for listening now.
Sounds that X3p really matches better with Ca1a than Susvara, at least for your likings. For me the biggest amp surprise till now has been how well the not so effective Cayin Ha-3a tube amp works with Raal. The Mitch Barnett's filters are also quite unbelievable, especially when using Ca1a's without VM-1 or some else totl amp with Star 8 cable.
Yes the filters are great, I use them when I put Ca1a on my main system that runs Susvara but found with some amps I prefer them without filtering

I still believe the Ca1a is a real hidden gem where can you find a can that is on the level of Susvara or Tc, Lcd5 for 1500.00.

The natural tone and amazing technicalities make for an amazing experience.

What I was missing that the Burson solved thankfully was it really filled out the Ca1a it's now thicker, full bodied, sub and mid bass was elevated while maintaining the excellent imaging but also closing the soundstage alittle too, about to the point where they were with closed pads on my Volot (main system)

But what it does is keep the clarity of the coffee bean pads while filling out the rest of the spectrum. Imaging seems more holographic I believe because the soundstage is smaller but also throws sounds behind and beyond the boarders at times. A very interesting sound imo

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,048 of 1,049
I just got my Schiit Mjolnir 3 to compare with my Freya+ and Aegir into the CA-1. I know I’ve read several posts saying the M3 doesn’t have enough power, but I can’t say I’m hearing that at all. Bass is rich and warm with good heft and punch. Tonality is way better than with Aegir and I think imaging might be a bit better, but this is all very early impressions. I only have the volume pot at about 1 o’clock on low gain with the M3 going into the 16 ohm input on the TI-1B.

I have a Bifrost 2/64 and Loki Max in the chain, all with XLR interconnects.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #1,049 of 1,049
So I bought a new amp and by new I actually mean it's 30 years old... Recently discovered vintage Sansui amps and wow, I think this is the best I've ever heard the CA-1a. The transformer in this thing is 28lbs alone, the chassis is copper and teflon, the capacitors are made of silk, copper, and gold. They just don't make stuff like this anymore, at least not until the $10k+ range. Getting very excited for my Magna/Immanis to arrive and to give it a go on this beast if the CA-1a is any judge of how they will sound.

Attachments

• 438083408_758388336445967_3990101625598556200_n.jpg
    438083408_758388336445967_3990101625598556200_n.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 438112512_425599430087091_8742731847683509014_n.jpg
    438112512_425599430087091_8742731847683509014_n.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 0
  • 438065098_1792034061307368_678235605615501258_n.jpg
    438065098_1792034061307368_678235605615501258_n.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back